Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welding qualification range
Welding Forum > UKWelder > Practical Welding Questions
vijay_kantsharma
Please clarify my following query:

base metal SA516 GR70
electrode E7018
Wether welder can be qualified for P1 to P15F?
skaginn
Hi vijay

I am assuming we are talking about ASME IX here.

SA516 GR70 is assigned P-No 1, testing on this material qualifies P-No 1 to P-No 11, P-No 34, P-No 41 to P-No 49.

Note this is 3 groups of material.

Qualifing on any one of these materials entitles the welder to weld them all.

I have never heard of P-No 15F

This may be a grade number from another code.

If we are not talking about ASME IX biggrin.gif blush.gif ohmy.gif unsure.gif

vijay_kantsharma
15 F is typographical error. By your answer it seems the welder can weld P8 Material too?
skaginn
As far as I am aware that is correct.
Please check this as I am working from some old notes taken from ASME IX which may be out of date
taff
skaginn
The info that you have stated is correct to the latest copy of ASME IX.
P-no. 15F is stated in QW-420 & 423 but is not listed in QW/QB-422

regards
taff
skaginn
Thanks Taff
Just out of is it a spcific alloy and does it fall in to one of the base metal groups for welder qualification.
rodofgod
Hi All!

skaginn,

P-No 15F is listed under 'Steel and Steel Alloys' under ASME 9 QW-420. It does not mention the make up of the material under QW-422 etc. The nearest mentioned is P 15E which is 9Cr-1Mo-V Forgings! Maybe holding that one in-lieu for future developments of F91 materials?

Regards

rodofgod
Hi All!

Computer problems!!!! blush.gif

skaginn,

P-No 15F is listed under 'Steel and Steel Alloys' under ASME 9 QW-420 (P1-15F,P34 and P41-P49 for base metal welder quals). It does not mention the make up of the material under QW-422 etc. The nearest mentioned is P 15E which is 9Cr-1Mo-V Forgings! Maybe holding that one in-lieu for future developments of F91 materials?

vijay,

To fully answer your question, or indeed to answer it yourself, you need a complete up to date copy of the code you are welding too. It is dangerous ground when asking these such questions on a forum in anything other than a 'general' way! It would be easy to say that a welder tested and approved on one P number was also qualified for all other P numbers under that grouping, according to, say ASME, but that is not always the case! Every case needs looking at and Client specs also can over rule!

Regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.