Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 100th birthday of wartime female welder
Welding Forum > UKWelder > Welding News
I Spy
Being 4ft 11in paid off for Edith Kent. Her diminutive stature meant that she could crawl inside torpedo tubes — and helped her to become the first woman in Britain to earn the same wage as her male colleagues while working as a welder during the Second World War.

This week Mrs Kent celebrated her 100th birthday with a tea dance at a hotel with 50 family and friends, including her sister Minna, 105.

Mrs Kent began working at Devonport dockyard in Plymouth in 1941 but was so good that she received wage parity in 1943 — which was unheard of at the time.

Full Story and Images - Times On Line Website

MIG n TIG
I Spy,

Yet another remarkable story. I didn't realise girl power was around back then. One question though, do you spend all day searching the net for weird and wonderful stories about welding and welders?
fatspice
I do believe in the picture she is burning. Did any one tell her she got sold up the river some years later off the union lol rolleyes.gif
Stupid Welder
But did you notice she is wearing a white shirt and tie,and if my eyes don't decieve me ,with a windsor knot in it.

Have heard the top welders years ago,used to come to work suited up.
Those where the days when welding had a mystique and respect to it.

SW
3Rs
Yes i surpose your right Stupid welder, the game is widely known but there are areas just like the Rain Forests of the delta, where tribles of welders drum out a beat using welding rods. and dance around the blue light.
charlie mcc
Didnt anyone notice she is not welding but seems to be washing off using oxy acet citting gear.
boilermaker
charlie
The average journalist would not know the difference.
charlie mcc
True boilermaker but a few guys above had a look and I didnt notice fatspice who got in before me with reply blush.gif
weldingartisan
Being 4ft 11in paid off for Edith Kent. Her diminutive stature meant that she could crawl inside torpedo tubes and helped her to become the first woman in Britain to earn the same wage as her male colleagues while working as a welder during the Second World War.

This week Mrs Kent celebrated her 100th birthday with a tea dance at a hotel with 50 family and friends, including her sister Minna, 105.

Mrs Kent began working at Devonport dockyard in Plymouth in 1941 but was so good that she received wage parity in 1943 which was unheard of at the time.

So perhaps welding fume isn't that bad after all? W/A
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.