Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does 6G and & GR mean?
Welding Forum > UKWelder > Practical Welding Questions
badgirlannie
could someone please explain to me what 6G and 6GR mean?? i am familiar with TIG, MMA and MIG and not sure if this is a fancy name for one of these processes or something entirely different. Please help!
superweld
6G - the joint is welded in a fixed 45 degree postion
6GR - the same as above but with restricetd access to the joint...usually a ring adjacent to the joint
Chipping Hammer
6GR means that the pipe is welded in the 6G or 45 degree position also there is a restriction ring placed just above the weld prep to make it more difficult to weld
One pipe nipple is bevelled the other pipe nipple is cut square, the square ended nipple is the bottom pipe.

Tam F1
6g is a butted pipe of same size diameter and wall thicknes at a 45 degree angle with a 60-70 degree double prep

6gr is a butted pipe of same size diameter but of different wall thickness at a 45 degree angle with a 37.5 degree single prep with a restricter ring positioned 10mm max from the square edge

Regards Tam F1
spuggie
oh right.. that helps alot!
nanjing2
6G qualifies u for welding pipe butt welds in all positions and the 6GR qualifies welding of structural TKY connections.
chummy
QUOTE (Ian @ Aug 31 2005, 10:22 PM)

One pipe nipple is bevelled the other pipe nipple is cut square, the square ended nipple is the bottom pipe.

square to the top !
badgirlannie
right. i understand now but does it require a TIG or MIG process?
wavey dave
As far as I know 6GR comes under ANSI D 1.1 structural welding.
nanjing2
6GR comes under the American Welding Society code AWS D1.1 for structural welding. 6G can also come under this code or ASME IX for pipe welding. There is no stipulation about what process must be used.
Ex-boilerrat
6G = / ISTHIS POSITION
6GR = / WITH RESTRICTION ABOVE THE BUTT

hope this is what your looking for.
regards
george
beads r us
r means restriction any process .no prep spec
superweld
QUOTE (badgirlannie @ Sep 1 2005, 02:28 PM)
right. i understand now but does it require a TIG or MIG process?

6g and 6gr refers only to the postion of the welded joint...it can be any welding process depending on the welding procedure
nanjing2
QUOTE (superweld @ Sep 1 2005, 06:22 PM)
6g and 6gr refers only to the postion of the welded joint...it can be any welding process depending on the welding procedure

Superweld, i think u missed the mark on this one, 6G and 6GR are welded in the same position as everyone has stated. The difference is in joint configuration and what this allows a welder to weld in production. Can a 6G welder weld 6GR, can a 6GR welder weld 6G?
Backpurge
The original question asked if 6G/6GR referred to a welding process, personally I think superweld has got it dead right.

6G/6GR is the joint position, any process can be used MMA/ TIG/ MAG dependant upon procedure and "in service" requirments
nanjing2
Back-purge the original question was "could someone please explain to me what 6G and 6GR mean??" Badgirlannie went on to say he/she? thought it was some fancy name for a welding process but the question was what does 6G and 6GR mean. Everyone realises it has nothing to do with welding processes but I don't think anyone has really explained what the terms mean or even the difference between the two. Both 6G and 6GR are welded in the same position that is fixed at an incline of 45deg. The difference id that 6G is used in single sided welding of pipe butts in all positions and the 6GR is used for all positions of TKY connections.
Backpurge
Oh well, glad you've cleared that one up, better bin my 6gr certs that were done on pipe with a restrictor plate then.
nanjing2
Back-purge, no need to do that! The reason that the test, 6GR procedure qualification test and welder test, are done on pipe is to allow mechanical tests to be taken and radiography. If you welded a tky then this cannot be done. (AWS D1.1 doesn't allow 6G to cover tky's)The square edge and the restrictor plate is to simulate what you get on production tky configurations.
Backpurge
These tests were nothing to do with tky connectors, it was for a cryogenic pipework job in stainless with restricted access. All tests were to A.S.M.E. IX
nanjing2
Never seen 6GR in ASME IX. If u look at AWS D1.1 it's quite clear.
Backpurge
We all live and learn, that's the beauty of welding, nobody knows it all.

Me especially !!!!!!!

Cheers
nanjing2
That's what we all come here for, I've picked up a lot from all the experienced guys with their hands on practical knowledge.
Backpurge
Agree with you 100% on that one

All the best
aunty spatter
QUOTE (nanjing @ Sep 2 2005, 10:03 AM)
Back-purge the original question was "could someone please explain to me what 6G and 6GR mean??" Badgirlannie went on to say he/she? thought it was some fancy name for a welding process but the question was what does 6G and 6GR mean. Everyone realises it has nothing to do with welding processes but I don't think anyone has really explained what the terms mean or even the difference between the two. Both 6G and 6GR are welded in the same position that is fixed at an incline of 45deg. The difference id that 6G is used in single sided welding of pipe butts in all positions and the 6GR is used for all positions of TKY connections.

6gr can also be used to test for pipe butts that occur in or around penetrations or bulkheads, the site test at kollsnes the troll gas terminal in norway used to be a 4" 6Mo full tig, 6gr position
nanjing2
Aunty Spatter, agree clients can and do supplement the base code requirement with their own additional requirements, as u said about the Troll terminal project. Many of the welders who have worked in Norway will tell u that their qualification test on super duplex stainless steel also included a G48 corrosion test, these are things that the client writes into his specifications for his "own piece of mind" but has nothing to do with the minimum requirements of a code such as ASME or AWS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.