Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding Poem
Welding Forum > UKWelder > Jobs and General
Lumpy Start
Well Gentlemen , I`m looking for some help with regard to a welding poem I read years ago. I would love to have a copy now, and if any one out there in la la land knows it, Id be delighted if youd post a copy.

The author, I know not, but it was technically correct reffering to many topics such as carburising & oxidising flames used in gas welding, so I suspect its from that era.

It begins " Tell me tell me learned elder, how do I become a welder?
goes on about " Let me toil among the boilers"

The whole thing is a total delight, we would all love it!!!

I read it at Sellafield about 12 years ago, and lost the copy.

So gents, its out there somewhere in the wierd world of welding.

Lets see if someone can recall it.
BAGGY
CAN REMEMBER SOME BITS OF IT ,THERES A COUPLE OF BOOKS OF POEMS BY SOME OLD WELDER WHO WORKED ON THE TYNE SHIPYARDS THEY RE REALLY GOOD ,I WILL PHONE SOME OF MY MATES UP YONDER AND GET DETAILS FOR YOU ,UNLESS ANY ONE KNOWS FATHER TED? [KIETH REYNOLDS] HES A MINE OF INFORMATION
Harweld
Hi Lumpy Start,
the poem you mention is a new one to me but I would be interested in reading it if someone can get you a copy. If you are lucky why not post to the forum so we can all enjoy it?
Many years ago the Liverpool Branch of TWI use to have a Branch Circular in which there was plenty of useful info but one thing I remember about it was that it also had quite a lot poems about welder's.
Hope this does'nt infringe any copyrights but this is a typical one:-

"With more of thanks and less of thought.
I strove to make my joints meet:
To seek what ancient welders sought,
Forging the metal smooth and sweet;
To make the passes in good part,
And keep the slaglines from the heart."

This was published in the Circular in February 1962 and paraphrased from a poem by John Byrom, an Elizabethan poet who wrote "Careless Content".

Lets hope you find your poem.

Regards.

Harry
asme 9
my old fella is always singing them type of poems/songs
il ask him if he knows the one ypur on about.
the one i hear most is "its a welders life ,a pack of rods a head screen a wire brush to keep me clean bladi bla bla bla.
fleetweld_freddie
my mate bolton billy (god rest his soul)used to sing below his screen a poem but i can only remember a few lines:

hey diddly dee a welders life for me,
av got me rods av got me screen,
av got me overalls to keep me clean,

with argon and manual metal arc,
get that root in and thats the knack,

thats all i can remember, can anybody add on to this
Harweld
Hi fleetweld freddie, would your mate be Bill Barlow who unfortunately passed away a few years ago?

Harry
fleetweld_freddie
Hi Harry,
Yes it was, and Billy could burn rods for Bolton, and was a good friend and a 1st class tradesman.
squirmy rooter
hi dedely dee
ah welders life for me
a box of rods
a welding screen
and 12 hour shifts to
keep us keen
Firebrand Welder
Lumpy Start, I realize it has been 12 years since this topic was last discussed, but did you ever find your poem. If you did could you send me a copy? I have been looking for it.

Baggy, you said: "THERES A COUPLE OF BOOKS OF POEMS BY SOME OLD WELDER WHO WORKED ON THE TYNE SHIPYARDS THEY RE REALLY GOOD ,I WILL PHONE SOME OF MY MATES UP YONDER AND GET DETAILS FOR YOU" I would sure like to get my hands on those books of poetry. Could you give me any more information about them or their author? I would sure appreciate it.

Harweld, you mentioned: "Many years ago the Liverpool Branch of TWI use to have a Branch Circular in which there was plenty of useful info but one thing I remember about it was that it also had quite a lot poems about welder's." I would really like to get my hands on some of those old circulars, specifically any poems or stories they had. Could you give me any more info about them? Or put me in touch with someone who might still have some?

To all the rest of you. I am interested in finding and collecting any and all welding/fabricating/metal working or trades related poetry any of you might know of. I would appreciate any and all poems that anyone can give me. All poetry can be sent to firebrandwelding@gmail.com
Cue see
1st verse:

Fee diddly dee, a welder's life for me
A box of rods
A welding screen
A pair of gloves to keep me clean
Fee diddly dee, I'm appy as can be.

2nd verse
Fee diddly dee, a welder's life for me
A spotty hat
A blue cravat
Look at the gap, I'm not welding that!
Fee diddly dee, I'm home at half past three!

Only one I know biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
arceyethenoo
Hi Lumpy Start.
Google is your friend. Look here for your poem.
http://www.cigweld.com.au/wp-content/uploa...asm-burning.pdf
Cheers
The Noo
rodofgod
Hi All,

Not a poem exactly, but worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xh_NHG0U_w&feature=kp

Regards
gapstobig
http://youtu.be/h4p1kpqH8Vk
rodofgod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnN-hqgfxY
JUD55
Hi Rod you certainly did spend to long across the pond hope you are doing ok I have some of these poems written down in an old note book if I can find it I will post them
nigel 42
hope its not gone in a flashplayer
JDSheepdog
This may not be all of it, I doubt it is, but it is as much of it as I can remember of it, pinned up in the lunch room from when I was an apprentice, a time when the mountains were still coming out of the sea:

Tell me, tell me learned elder,
How may I become a welder?

Let me be an honest toiler,
Let me only weld a boiler.

My imagination boggles
At the glory of the goggles,

Welding mild and welding stainless,
Welding welding, ever painless,

Firmly held in jigs and fixtures,
Nobly fluxed with cunning mixtures,
backtoweld
Here's a wee ditty from the Clyde a bit short."would you like to weld on a boat
And carry Ray burn home on your throat.
Or would you rather be a plater
school
Hi lumpy start
Your poem is so good.
badpickup
im only a poor wee welder
my root and hot passes
are crap my cap's a disgrace
it looks like the face of a burd thats
dosed up with the Clap biggrin.gif
school
Thanks ther.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.