Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> welding cuni pipe
gtwelder
post Jun 13 2009, 08:39 AM

hi all. Just after some info. We've just had some cuni 90 10 pipe come into the workshop. I thought that this pipe work is hazardous to weld. We've been told nothing about it just weld it up. Any help will be grateful. Cheers gtwelder.
cheese and chive
post Jun 13 2009, 12:01 PM

if you've got a lot to do you need to set up a negative pressure welding booth and try not to grind the stuff and an air fed welding screen would be a good idea
Ex-boilerrat
post Jun 13 2009, 02:56 PM

Hi,gtwelder
Very hazardous welding, Grinding/ flapping more so have you got a airfed welding screen use it good luck
big g
post Jun 13 2009, 03:34 PM

Its not the welding of cuni , its the crap that comes off it when you grind it.

Big G.
douglas
post Jun 13 2009, 07:23 PM

CuNiFer? Copper, Nickel, iron.

Banned in the states apparentley.

Copper particles bad for liver and lungs. Nickel particles same. Both highly cancerous.

Iron's alright (iron brew remember, gotta be good!)

Get the mask on and the air fed screen, wear the mask at all times in the fab shop.

Tested out on it once and did a little skid that was headed offshore, never touched it since.

gtwelder
post Jun 14 2009, 07:38 PM

hi all. Well there is 6 of us in the workshop at least. We're not grinding it just welding it but i feel like it's affecting me. I'm wearing an optrel welding helmet and blower so i'm ok but all the others haven't it any blowers or masks. Has anyone iota COSHH Sheet for it. Cheers gary
Technic Al
post Jun 14 2009, 09:17 PM

Copper and Nickel banned in the USA?

really?

Have you got prrof of this?

Have they banned everything containing Copper or Nickel ?
rodofgod
post Jun 14 2009, 10:12 PM

Hi All!

I too, have heard that this material is 'banned' in the US! Never had much to do with it, so don't know if this is correct or not! However, this is simple to remedy, ask for COSHH report for this material!

Regards
Ballbearing
post Jun 15 2009, 12:27 AM

Hi guys,
Not sure of the difference between the dangers of grinding dust and the dangers of welding fumes but here is some data from some Metrode MSDS's.
The OSHA PEL (Permissible Exposure Limit ) for
ER 70S-6 is 5 mg /cubic metre
ER 316L is 3.1 mg / cubic metre (based on Cr content)
ER CuNi is 0.3 mg / cubic metre (based on Cu content)

One would think a respirator would be a minimum for welding this material,
Cheers,
BB
nanjing
post Jun 15 2009, 12:27 PM

Any one working in the North Sea will know that in the Norwegian sector CuNi is not used and has been replaced by Ti. Draw your own conclusions. I have never read anything official on this preference.
Arc-tic
post Jun 15 2009, 03:05 PM

...not sure if Cuni's banned in the states but remember being told at college that the origins of the "Cuni's cancerous" story was related to when it was used to plate the clasps on suspender belts and all these women started developing skin cancers on their thighs.

True or not?

Well, never let the truth get in the way of a good story, I say.
douglas
post Jun 15 2009, 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Technic Al @ Jun 14 2009, 10:17 PM) *
Copper and Nickel banned in the USA?

really?

Have you got prrof of this?

Have they banned everything containing Copper or Nickel ?

Hearsay Al.

It's all in the nuance of course but, as Americans are keen on copper guttering and common coinage the world over uses copper nickel alloys then no, copper and nickel are clearly not banned in the states. I'm sure stainless steels are popular over the pond too.

As far as my knowledge goes with this stuff; it's used offshore on fire water systems because barnacles and crustations don't or can't latch on to it and so it's a prefered material for that most important of tasks.

I don't want to be a rumour monger but this mix is not good. I'd heard the Scandinavians had kicked it out too but again, hearsay.

I tested out on CuNiFer in the mid nineties and we were scared of it then (and my comments stem from that time) but then, I was told white asbestos was ok in the late eighties, it was the blue and brown stuff that was bad. Go figure.
Far Canal
post Jun 16 2009, 02:52 AM

Gents

I have heard the stories over the years of how bad cunifer is for your body and how its been banned in other countries. However I have never had any of these claims verified and would be interested if someone had solid answers.

I do know for a fact that 90/10 cunifer pipe and fittings are made in the US so its safe to assume that they weld it in the US as well.

I spent 12 months TIG welding cunifer every day for 10 hours per day using little more than a dust mask. Not particularly clever I know but this was before H & S became prominent in the workplace. At the time I did not consider it any more hazardous to my health than s/s or any other alloy material but I guess only the long term will tell.

In any case, fumes/dust from any welding or grinding operations should be avoided by using correct extract equipment and PPE.

cheers
Far Canal
Technic Al
post Jun 16 2009, 02:33 PM

Douglas

I think its like someone posted earlier, the fumes from CuNi are more toxic than from MS but I wouldnt go breathing any fumes. I dont think its been actually banned, maybe avoided but if they ban Cu and Ni the implications (like you mention) are enormous.

Ive heard they are trying to ban Zinc and Chromium from the Olympic Stadia in London. How they plan to go about it I dont know. This is also heresay.

or maybe not

http://www.profeng.com/archive/archive+200...07/22070021.htm
douglas
post Jun 16 2009, 11:05 PM

Chaps,

With respect, the health issues regarding welding are huge and largely underestimated, at shop floor level, in the welding fraternity. We welders weld with little knowledge of the long term implications of our deeds.

It would be good for the welder to know the implications.

All of you take care when welding anything.

Douglas.
Bsmith
post Jun 22 2009, 01:53 AM

QUOTE (douglas @ Jun 13 2009, 08:23 PM) *
CuNiFer? Copper, Nickel, iron.

Banned in the states apparentley.

Copper particles bad for liver and lungs. Nickel particles same. Both highly cancerous.

Iron's alright (iron brew remember, gotta be good!)

Get the mask on and the air fed screen, wear the mask at all times in the fab shop.

Tested out on it once and did a little skid that was headed offshore, never touched it since.

I have been grinding, cutting and welding a lot stainless steel recently and not wearing a mask, is this dangerous plz?
Jee
post Jun 26 2009, 09:57 PM

^^^^

The mind boggles dry.gif

Wire in mate. Big gulps.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage