Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to calculate amount of consumables
IFAISTOS
post Jul 8 2008, 09:53 AM

I am trying to calculate (estimate) the volume (weight?) of total welding rods required for a large GTAW + SMAW pipe welding job,so I can issue a purchase order.How do i calculate this number?
Thanks
SRG Welder
post Jul 8 2008, 12:22 PM

try this , if the diameter is 300mm times it by pye calculate the lenght of rod then deduct 10% waste then add the thickness of pipe and calculate what size of rod you are using , say if it was 4mm and the pipe was 12mm times it by 3 then add it all up then times by 2 then put a little on for error biggrin.gif works for me rolleyes.gif

Ste .
Fillmeboots
post Jul 9 2008, 07:29 AM

I came up with 2,989,539.569 rods for that butt alone! I was never any good at maths. But try this link: http://products.esab.com/Templates/T041.asp?id=55094 and click on the specifications tab, it has some good info you might find useful. If you are still stuck PM me I might be able to help you with some computer trickery :)
Technic Al
post Jul 9 2008, 08:05 AM

SRG..........you forgot to double it and subtract the number you first thought of

I think there are slightly more mathematically correct methods available.

There are tables available from TWI
SRG Welder
post Jul 9 2008, 12:31 PM

Hehe these are SRG tables laugh.gif You mean I could have doubled my proffits !!! sad.gif

Ste .
Far Canal
post Jul 10 2008, 04:30 AM

1) Calculate the weld area (cross section of the weld) including root and cap reinforcement in square millimetres.
2) Multiply weld area by pipe circumference (weld length) to give a weld volume in cubic millimetres.
3) Divide this answer by 1,000,000,000 to give weld volume in cubic metres.
4) Multiply weld volume by metal density (7,800 kg/m^3) to give mass of weld metal per weld (in kg)
5) Multiply mass per weld by the total number of welds to give total weld metal required (in kg).
6) Add on a 20-30% contingency for wastage etc.
7) Calculate mass of electrode needed per kilogram of deposited weld metal (varies depending on consumable but I use as a rule of thumb 1.5kg electrode mass for 1kg of weld metal.
8) You then have the mass of electrodes needed in kilograms.
9) Decide the split between electrode diameters e.g. 5% of electrodes to be 2.5mm diameter, 95% to be 3.2mm diameter.

Very easy and accurate if you set up a spreadsheet to calculate for you.

Far Canal

ballyman
post Jul 21 2008, 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Fillmeboots @ Jul 9 2008, 08:29 AM) *
I came up with 2,989,539.569 rods for that butt alone! I was never any good at maths. But try this link: http://products.esab.com/Templates/T041.asp?id=55094 and click on the specifications tab, it has some good info you might find useful. If you are still stuck PM me I might be able to help you with some computer trickery :)

I'm not sure if you ment this to be amusing Fillmeboots, but i found it very funny laugh.gif laugh.gif sometimes the sence of humour on the site is just priceless & there should be a lot more of it, and no, i'm not smoking dope or just home from the pub rolleyes.gif
Buzz
post Jul 21 2008, 08:32 PM

times the first number that comes into ur head by 100 lol dry.gif
spot the dog
post Jul 25 2008, 01:41 PM

hello Ifaistos.

Confused ! I am.

1. Take a piece of scrap.
2. Weigh it.
3. Weld 1 rod on it
4. Weigh it again. The difference is the weight of weld.
6. Times that by the amount of rods in a box. You now know how much weld metal there is in a box of rods, Approx.

Or you could do a test pipe joint, note how many rods used, and times that by how many joints you intend to do.

Technic Al
post Jul 25 2008, 01:54 PM

Spot the dog
or you could ask the Manufacturer for a data sheet which should include such data
spot the dog
post Jul 26 2008, 11:40 AM

Technic Al .

Even better !!

have fun.
Spot the dog
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage