Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice need for welding 410 stainless
creamywelder
post Feb 6 2018, 06:50 PM

Hi all,

I am after some advice on tig welding a butt joint on some 8mm thick 410 stainless steel, the joint to be welded is 300 mm long.

I have done some research on the internet and have seen that it seems to be a challenging material to weld. One of my main concerns are the pre an post weld heat treatments required.

The job in question is a 1off and I don't have access to the equipment for heat treatment. So my question is can I still do it with the right consumables and oxy acetylene for pre heat etc?

Thanks in advance, Cream.

rodofgod
post Feb 6 2018, 10:08 PM

Preheat might be advantageous, depending on filler used. Most S/S are now low carbon which may make the need for post weld HT mute. 410 is generally thought to be one of the easiest Martensite S/S to weld. Some way of measuring temp for preheat would be good and if needed post weld heat treatment as well.
Technic Al
post Feb 10 2018, 09:28 AM

Depending on what the application is but the easiest weld is to use 309L and at 8mm thickness you dont need to preheat or PWHT

You casn also use matching if you really need to...stress corrosion / sulphurous atmosphere / strength
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage