Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what is the difference between E7018 and 7018-A1 welding rods
tstrickland772
post Sep 10 2010, 02:58 AM

QUOTE (tadworth @ Sep 3 2010, 11:48 AM) *
I've got to do a vertical (up) fillet mma weld , but the start / bottom of the weld is on the floor, and i can't get enough access to get the electrode below horizontal for the first couple of inches, which makes for a nasty weld profile, are there any tricks i can use ?

Technic Al
post Sep 10 2010, 12:34 PM

7018-A1 contain around 0.5%Mo which slightly increase the strength and toughness, they could be on the cusp of being an 8018 depending on the carbon content.
Ballbearing
post Sep 11 2010, 12:31 AM

TA,
Have checked the specifications for these electrodes and the E7018 falls under SFA 5.1 "Carbon Steel Electrodes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding" and E7018-A1 falls under SFA 5.5 "Low Alloy Steel Electrodes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding".
What I am not sure about and maybe you can help is the maximum carbon content for the E7018 is "Not Specified" ? Why would that be ?
Also, the E7018 has small amounts of Ni and Cr while the E7018-A1 does not - I would have thought a low alloy electrode would have been more likely to have these elements rather than the other way around ?
Cheers,
BB
Technic Al
post Sep 11 2010, 10:09 AM

The 7018 spec lists maximums for Ni Cr and some others plus a combined max for (I think) 4 elements. The reasoning is (I think) to ensure they are not alloyed. They dont list minimums so really they are limiting the traces.

They dont mention carbon unless its a specific low carbon version. Its wierd, I always thought so. I once had a firm return a load of electrodes because the weld metal contained carbon. Their logic was that there is no mention of carbon in AWS so it shouldnt be there. I had a hell of a job convincing them that it just wouldnt be steel if there was no carbon. In reality if the carbon was high the weld metal would exceed the max tensile strength (I think there is one) so there is a backstop.

You assume that these specs have been written by people in the know. That is not always a safe assumption. Over the years I have found many to be at least ambiguous and sometimes wrong.

I know of one for electrodes that specifies the composition of the core wire. You can change that significantly by adding elements through the coating......absolute nonsense.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage