Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ASME 9 qualification ranges
deanoo85
post Apr 11 2018, 10:19 AM

Morning,

Has anybody a link or clear statement regarding range of qualifications for ASME IX i.e Dia and thickness of pipes covered in regard to carrying out a new WPQR. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Deano
Ballbearing
post Apr 11 2018, 12:15 PM

Table QW-451.1 gives you a variety of thicknesses (parent metal and deposited weld metal)
Do not worry about diameter, it is a non-essential variable.
Ballbearing
post Apr 17 2018, 12:23 PM

Deano,
When someone takes the time to respond to your question it is polite to reply,

Regards,
BB
deanoo85
post May 9 2018, 12:03 PM

Sorry BB i haven't been online for a while, no being rude on my part, just simply not seen your reply.

Cheers
Deano
deanoo85
post May 15 2018, 08:10 AM

BB in 15614-1 in regards to procedure qualification it states somewhere that one weld position covers all in regards to materials that do not under go hardness testing i.e austenitic stainless steel, is this the case also for ASME IX?

Cheers
Deano
Ballbearing
post May 15 2018, 12:45 PM

That is the case with ASME for all materials.
Plate or pipe, flat or overhead - all OK.
I have spent over 30 years working with ASME and when I am very unlucky I have to work with 15614-1 and 9606-1.
Far Canal
post May 19 2018, 12:54 AM

Change of position is a supplementary essential variable according to ASME IX for SMAW, GMAW & GTAW processes.

QW-405.2
A change from any position to the vertical position uphill progression.
Vertical‐uphill progression (e.g., 3G, 5G, or 6G position) qualifies for all positions.
In uphill progression, a change from stringer bead to weave bead.
This variable does not apply when a WPS is qualified with a PWHT above the upper transformation temperature or when an austenitic material is solution
annealed after welding.

Supplementary essential variables become additional essential variables in situations where procedure qualifications require toughness testing, not hardness testing.

Therefore in summary, if no toughness testing is required, then one position qualifies for all.

Cheers
Far Canal

This post has been edited by Far Canal: May 19 2018, 12:55 AM
deanoo85
post May 22 2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks very much for the response Far Canal
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage