Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fillet size
tig
post Sep 1 2017, 04:35 PM

I have a job of welding a 14 inch ansi 150 slip on weld flange onto schedule 40 pipe about 10 mm wall.
As a rule of thumb is a 10 mm fillet weld ok
Boilerbuster
post Sep 1 2017, 05:49 PM

Are we talking, a (thickness) or Z (lenght)?

Normally, some qualified person has already worked out what size the fillet should be and put it on the WPS.
tig
post Sep 1 2017, 06:05 PM

We are talking
Is a 10 mm fillet ok hopefully by some qualified person on here
Thanks for the reply
tig
post Sep 1 2017, 06:15 PM

Boilerbuster leglength is what I'm after

Does the leg length have to be no thicker than the material being welded is the info I'm after
Ballbearing
post Sep 3 2017, 12:26 PM

The welding procedure, isometric drawing or project specs will tell you the required size.
If not, you need to ask your management.
An internet forum is not the place for an answer.

Spool arrives on site and the fillet weld is deemed too small - "But they told me on UK Welder forum it was OK" !!!
tig
post Sep 3 2017, 04:17 PM

My mistake
I did think it was the right forum to get some information on the question I have asked..?.
Technic Al
post Sep 3 2017, 04:56 PM

You can get advice on here from people in the Industry....experienced people...its given without implications so its your choice if you decide to use it or not.
BB has a very valid point but if we apply the same logic to every question there will be no answers and no website. You might not get the answer but you might be able to exclude some possibilities.
The S.P.I
post Sep 3 2017, 09:40 PM

BB
Spool arrives on site and the fillet weld is deemed too small - "But they told me on UK Welder forum it was OK"
REALLY!!!

My mistake
Ballbearing
post Sep 3 2017, 11:10 PM

tig,
If you told us what code/standard you are working to we may be able to tell you what the minimum fillet size is (and sometimes the maximum as well) but only the piping designer can tell you what size fillet they actually want.
Cheers,
BB
Captain
post Sep 4 2017, 08:52 AM

QUOTE (tig @ Sep 1 2017, 05:35 PM) *
I have a job of welding a 14 inch ansi 150 slip on weld flange onto schedule 40 pipe about 10 mm wall.
As a rule of thumb is a 10 mm fillet weld ok

Hi tig
I would do the inside of the flange 1st. Fill up the small gap and then go over it leaving a 8mm fillet.(pipe thickness is around 11mm.) Use a 3.2mm rod.
Outside fillet, same again, fill up the gap first but you can go in with a 4mm rod. Then show 2 runs on the finished article. Should give you around a 12mm fillet on the outside, the hub thickness will be about 20mm, so a 12mm fillet should be acceptable.
But as Ballbearing says ask your management!!
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage