Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transition between full penetration and partial penetration?
raskalla
post Feb 7 2017, 03:25 PM

Hi,

I have to weld two plates T-joint, 6 meters length, but 2 meters in the middle I want to weld it full pen., and the ends should be partial pen.
My question is: how should I do the transition between full pen and partial pen.?
I didn't found nothing on the rules.

Thank you.
Technic Al
post Feb 7 2017, 10:27 PM

Its a different joint
Why do you want to have some full pen and some partial?
raskalla
post Feb 8 2017, 09:45 AM

Because, in the beginning, the client asked to be full pen. I ask him to change it in partial but he said that those 2 meters should remain full pen.
Ballbearing
post Feb 8 2017, 10:48 AM

TA,
See it regularly where the designer has deemed partial pen or fillet is sufficient but in certain highly stressed areas of the same weld they require full penetration.
Never heard of a 2 mtr area though

Raskalla,
Just taper the prep down from partial to complete - if you are worried add 50-100 mm either side of the CJP and you will have no problems if testing is called for,
Cheers,
BB
Technic Al
post Feb 8 2017, 06:53 PM

Must be harder than doing full pen full length

To be honest I hate to see partial pen weld, unless its a garden gate or something. To me if it needs welding it needs welding properly
Ballbearing
post Feb 8 2017, 10:30 PM

TA,
I posted before I saw Raskallas reply to you.
Very strange a contractor asking the client if it is OK to supply a weaker weld ?

I am currently supervising the fabrication of a heavy machine (approx 3000 tonnes) for Coal Minining in China.
It is German designed and there are literally thousands of partial penetration welds all over the machine.
I was very surprised myself at the fact they were not mostly CJP considering the massive loads put on the machine.
raskalla
post Feb 9 2017, 05:09 PM

Thanks for answers.
Why I asked PP? Because our designer calculated and he said is more than enough PP, I can make it also FW... Why to weld kilometers of seams when is not necessary? It;s about money, time, bending, etc. I know, technically speaking is better to weld everything FP... but I have a small budget. glare.gif
(English isnít my first language, so please excuse any mistakes)
try_some_welding
post Feb 10 2017, 10:36 AM

Fillet T is also much cheaper to NDE (mag-part) than CJP T (mag-part and UT - where UT is much more expensive) - as have to prove the CJP is there when relying upon it (and if you are not relying upon it, why is it there?!).
(???)
raskalla
post Feb 10 2017, 10:54 AM

I've asked to change it in FW. They decide to make it PP, it wasn't our decision. This is the first project for him abd he decided like that (he don't want to hear anything else... ).
Anyway... let's suppose that this will remain like that: how can I can do it to be sure that is technically correct?
P.S.: I can't find the attach button to insert a picture.
raskalla
post Feb 22 2017, 06:38 PM

I used a scallop, finally!
Thanks for your time.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage