Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Different welding rods
post Jan 24 2017, 04:22 PM
Joined: 16-Nov 16

Hi Guys this may seem like a simple question but however I dont know the answer as I am mainly a mig welder in the structural steel industry. I wanted know what what welding process you would using the following mma rods for
A. 6010
B. 7018
c. 7024

Thanks in advance
post Jan 25 2017, 08:53 AM
Joined: 18-Aug 16

Hi Jrlewis, how do you mean process? Welding process is as you've mentioned mma (stick) welding.

The rods have many different purposes, 6010 is a cellulosic rod generally used for stovepiping on pipelines (quite common in the US not so much in the UK these days) being vertical down root runs. 7018 is a high quality 'basic' rod, which may be used for filling / capping pipelines, high integrity structural work etc. 7024 would be a rutile rod, which is really general purpose.

You could have a look at AWS A 5.1 to see the designations and what they mean.

Hope that's what you were after,

This post has been edited by andye611: Jan 25 2017, 08:54 AM
Technic Al
post Jan 25 2017, 08:58 AM
Joined: 14-Oct 03

7024s are Iron Powder Rutile which are mostly used on downhand fillets.

You are missing the most common, which are 6013. These are general purpose Rutile rods, easy to use.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage