Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3G & 4G welding test next week
Callum1995
post Jan 19 2020, 06:36 AM

Hi lads, new here, I come out my time in 2018 as a welder, in mid 2019 due to some circumstances not long after finishing my apprenticeship I had to step back from the trade for half a year, my company wasnít the best with coding and learning so at best I was a 4G welder at my place wouldnít pay for 6G. Anyways, to the point, Iíve got a weld test next week for a new job, itís 3G & 4G with FCAW root & ceramic tile on back, just looking for any tips & tricks as itís been a while since Iíve welded never mind testing and very nervous for my test , very confident at filling & capping it, itís more so the root Iím worrying about, both for the 3G & 4G , just wondering for any tips to help me as Iím a bit rusty , good Volt & w/S settings would be a bonus ( I know it can differ for different machines) just something to point me in right direction, any other tips would be much appreciated too thanks lads!
Technic Al
post Jan 19 2020, 04:35 PM

They should tell you what settings to use
nellynoggin
post Jan 22 2020, 12:58 AM

Hey Callum if your using ceramic backing tiles make sure you put a decent root gap in at least 4mm and feather edge unless wps specifies other. Volts around 23 to 24 if your using 0.45 wire and wire speed to suit voltage start off point 175 ipm , try on a piece of scrap.
Again if WPS specifies other then you have a window to work in.
Hope this helps.
Gouging The Gap
post Jan 22 2020, 08:36 PM

Take yer time and Breath..... hate testing but its a must.
Callum1995
post Feb 2 2020, 10:38 AM

Cheers everyone, passed the test anyways :)
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage