Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pipeworx 400 RMD S/S root
smithbazza
post May 7 2014, 11:37 AM

So a couple of weeks ago I post a topic on a new welding procedure that I was trying to achieve with the Miller Pipeworx 400 machine. Well I had go, it didn't go well and I may re-visit it later.
I now have to try to set up a procedure with the RMD on stainless steel. I've had a few goes, 30 degree bevel, 1mm landing, backing purge of purge argon and the welding gas is stainshield light. The root always looks lovely, great fusion, nice bead appearance, but the pipe is filled with spatter.
Welding engineering will not accept this spatter, but we have been told that this can be done with spatter. Has anyone done a stainless steel root without getting spatter, or can anyone help me.

Barry
Tungsten sharpen...
post May 7 2014, 01:46 PM

Try pure argon as the cover gas as well as purge/shield........... Check cleanliness of parent metals and filler rods, cross contamination from abrasives/cutters, purge tape adhesive etc.........

Can't think of anything else that would cause spatter......... never been an issue for me

TS
Tungsten sharpen...
post May 7 2014, 06:33 PM

Sorry, forgot torch angle............

TS
smithbazza
post May 7 2014, 07:24 PM

I will have a go using the pure argon as a backing purge, but the only problem I can see is that Miller themselves are telling me that the 98% argon 2% CO2 is the right gas for the MIG RMD; still manufacturers aren't always right!
Fillmeboots
post May 7 2014, 10:11 PM

Whats your wire spec? dia and grade? I know we use the high Si wire without a purge

FMB
smithbazza
post May 7 2014, 10:22 PM

We are using CIGWELD AUTOCRAFT 316LSi 0.9 wire. We have running a backing purge as well
Tungsten sharpen...
post May 8 2014, 08:13 AM

Completely off target..... sorry, on consideration, try helium mix.

TS
nellynoggin
post May 9 2014, 05:49 PM

Used pipe works RMD and lincoln STT on stainless roots gas we used was Tri gas argon helium co2 mix no problem with spatter.Has for using a back purge would improve the quality but sort of defeats the object of using RMD . The idea of RMD is to do roots with no back purge.
smithbazza
post May 9 2014, 09:32 PM

I've read on Millers web site about the tri gas, the problem is that BOC don't do a tri gas here in Australia! BOC are coming to visit us next week and we are going to ask them why they don't and what do they have that would suit us! The only reason we are using a backing purge is because our specs require it, but if I get a tri gas I should be able to prove that we don't!
Fillmeboots
post May 10 2014, 12:18 AM

with the Si wire you shouldn't need a purge does it say on the wire spec? However keeps it clean. We use Arcal 14 (Ar, O2, CO2) for wheel work and that seems good

make sure you have the gas setting on TRI H, It sounds like you may have the machine on TRI A setting to get all that spatter.

We use Blushield 9 (He, Ar, C02) for positional work, this I don't think will work for the high Si wire without a purge but don't quote me.

Nelly with the correct wire and shielding gas combo you can use any dip transfer method to produce a root without a purge :)

This post has been edited by Fillmeboots: May 10 2014, 12:20 AM
Fillmeboots
post May 10 2014, 05:53 PM

I'd ditch BOC and go with praxair or air liquide. air liquide will mix custom gases for us no problem.
smithbazza
post May 10 2014, 11:49 PM

At the moment we don't have any tri gas settings for the pipeworx, is sounds like we need the upgrade that they are offering! It isn't that easy to ditch BOC, they are on our recommended list and it isn't that easy to get another supplier on the list! We are going to play with gases next week!
Fillmeboots
post May 11 2014, 08:35 AM

Ah yeah, sounds like you have an early Pipeworx then, we are just getting the latest ones with the metalcore options on it.

Shame there is so much red tape BS to get through these days!
smithbazza
post May 11 2014, 10:00 AM

We have one that has the metal core settings and not the tri gas ones! Strange! More than likely they want to sell us the upgrades..........
Fillmeboots
post May 11 2014, 06:56 PM

so there is no gas selection button next to the wire diameter selection button in the mig setup panel? there should be two tables of gases listed on the right one for carbon and the other for stainless. each have an LED to indicate which one is selected. Even if you didn't get a machine for stainless it will have a selection due to the pulse option as you need 90/10 mix.

PM a pic of the panel if you can......
smithbazza
post Jul 1 2014, 11:15 AM

I finally have the gas and the right program for the pipeworx, and when I'm putting the root in the spatter is almost zero. The only problem I have is with the tack welds. Whenever I put a tack in I get spatter inside the pipe! I even tried putting bullet tacks in, but still get spatter at the initial start up point. I'm thinking of starting up on one of the bullet tacks, and then feed down into the root. Does anyone have any ideas.
artofpipe
post Jun 20 2018, 01:14 PM

I apologize if im in the wrong chat or thread, I have a miller Pipeworx field pro, trying to get welders to be able to produce an acceptable Stainless steel open butt weld, 30 deg bevel, 4" schedule 40 304 pipe. using 308SI .035 wire, 98% argon 2% CO2 shielding gas on rmd root, tri mix Ar, O2, CO2 on fill and cap, some spatter on interior of pipe during root and during fill/cap there is excessive black suit (powder like residue after welding operation) Can anyone tell me what initial setting for volts/wire speed and arc length to start with Please. I have it set the machine to .o35, stainless steel, RMD, tri H
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage