Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 G pipe welding procedures
Spen07
post Nov 23 2017, 02:49 PM

Can anyone please advise me on what procedure i would be best to get in place for an up coming job. I'm a Responsible Welding Co-ordinator in structural steel and have been asked if i can arrange weld tests for 2 pipe welders with the test house i use for the structural work. The job is low temp hot water and the client has asked for the welders to be 287 class 1. I believe the pipe diameter is no great than 6" and no smaller 1 1/4" carbon steel,

Many Thanks
Spen07
Boilerbuster
post Nov 24 2017, 04:55 PM

What procedure??? Normaly it would be your companys own procedure.

EN 287-1 has long been superceded by ISO 9606-1.
Technic Al
post Nov 24 2017, 08:10 PM

Low Temp HOT water.......???.........would that be WARM water?....strange descriotion dont ya think

Sorry cant help with the procedure.....is it Stick, MIG, FCW, TIG

People on here can help with suggestions, parameters, technique etc but the procedure is yours
The S.P.I
post Nov 25 2017, 11:57 PM

Spen asked a simple question, look what he got!
Technic Al
post Nov 26 2017, 12:52 AM

an answer
Spen07
post Nov 26 2017, 09:40 AM

Let me try again the company has no procedures in place. I understand for the process of welding procedures what i wanted to know what would be the best pipe size, thickness ie what schedule pipe. I need to put in place procedures for a TIG root, Stick root both stick cap. For the pipe sizes i have i believe the company will need 4 new procedures that was the advice i was looking for. As for the WARM water description i only wrote what i read of the drawings LTHW BS EN 2633 pipes carrying fluids its not high pressure steam. I quoted 287 as that was what there last certs were and when they re-qualify they will be ISO 9606-1. I only wanted a bit of advice as i'm not from the pipe side of fabrication i'm a ex plater who is now a RWC in structural steel. let me thank The S.P.I for his support i only asked a simple question
Uncle D
post Nov 26 2017, 11:07 AM

There was no malice in the answers SPI,Spen didn't phrase his question very well.....Technic Al is a helpful kinda guy,given decent info!!!
Ballbearing
post Nov 26 2017, 12:00 PM

It was not a simple question !!!
As TA stated how can you help without knowing the intended process ?
We have been given proposed diameter but no idea of thickness ?
If Spen has no WPS for the intended work how is he going to qualify his welders and more importantly how is he going to actually complete the work ?
Regards,
BB
Technic Al
post Nov 26 2017, 03:03 PM

On these sites its very easy to take things the wrong way. I wasnt having a go at you...I never thought the Warm Water descriptiion was anyone elses but the Designer....Ive seen these things before.

As for the question, you know as well as I do that simple questions often have complex answers. You need to find out the grade of pipe, some are alloyed so need alloyed consumables and maybe preheat / PWHT. For warm water its probably CMn steel but you need to know.

There are many difference between plate and pipe eg the root shape on the inside...

Its not easy to describe on here
The S.P.I
post Nov 26 2017, 10:12 PM

omg, talk about growing arm & legs , hell bells. it was a simple question. no one has even asked what regs it comes under ,is it Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR) The duties imposed by PSSR relate to pressure systems for use at work and the risk to health/safety. well???
Technic Al
post Nov 27 2017, 01:49 AM

Maybe it would be best if you answered
Ballbearing
post Nov 27 2017, 02:11 AM

I will repeat my first reply - it is not a simple question.
How can anyone tell you what schedule pipe is required for your tests if you have not nominated the thickness of what you are going to weld in production ?
You have given diameter - but not thickness.

Now you apparently want to qualify procedures - do you realise the requirements and essential variables of ISO 9606 for your welders are different to BS/EN 15614 for your procedures ?

Try this for your welders
1 1/4" = 42 mm OD
6" = 168 mm OD

So a 2" (60.3 mm OD) test pipe will cover all of your diameters

I will take a guess and say STD/Sch 40 for your production welds
1 1/4" = 3.56 mm WT
6" = 7.1 mm WT

So a 2" Sch 80 (5.54 mm WT) will cover you for all your thicknesses

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
BB
rodofgod
post Nov 27 2017, 11:18 PM

Well this has escalated quickly! I dont doubt it will be deleted soon as per norm. Just before that happens, might I add, welder qualifications i.e procedures, need to be conducted to a standard, AWS D1.1 structural, ASME IX for most ASME standards i.e. B31.1/3 etc or ISO 9606 for EN standards, not an exhaustive list by any means, API, EEMUA what ever also apply. Given these conditions, BB's answer seems the most relevant.
Technic Al
post Nov 28 2017, 12:14 AM

Rod.....you could write a procedure to weld garden gates....that doesnt need to be in accordance with a national standard.....you can write WPs that meet internal standards....if you want.

The idea is to improve consistency....even if consistently bad...
rodofgod
post Nov 28 2017, 10:50 PM

Al, yes you are correct, it's easy to get tunnel vision in our game! If the OP want or needs assistance in writing procedures to whatever standard or even no standard, then feel free to contact me, my rates are real good!
Technic Al
post Nov 29 2017, 01:16 AM

He should, he needs expert help....but its his decision not mine
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage