Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ndt test on mild steel with stainless wire TIG
Veets123
post Jan 29 2021, 07:00 PM

Hello all fellow welders, I have a predicament I have come into work tonight and have been given a job welding a damaged piece of a machinery it involves lifting pallets up at height, there was a mishap where the structure was twisted damaged part of the frame work, I have been issued to weld the structure and the following day it will receive a NDT from an outside company, my problem is is that the structure is mild steel but I have access to only stainless wire (TIG), I have welded many things mild steel with stainless wire with no problems but never had it have a non destructable test, I know this process is not ideal but how will the ndt come back ? Will it fail.. thanks
Technic Al
post Jan 30 2021, 12:45 PM

It wont fail NDT just because the weld is stainless

However, it has to be the correct grade of stainless or you could get brittle phases. The best choice would be 309L.
Veets123
post Jan 30 2021, 05:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, I managed to find some mild steel wire and lay down some nice welds, see next week if it passed :)
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage