Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Career advice for someone that needs to upskill
Razah
post Jun 11 2020, 09:45 PM

Hey guys, Was hoping some of the expierienced individuals on here could give me some guidance on what path I should take after redundancy (moving from aerospace to another welding environment).
Basically, I was an Aerospace welding apprentice (only done TIG) and then got 3 years time-served working there after that. really not a lot of positional experience, but I can do the test pieces in position, to a "satisfactory" level. I am under no illusions, I know my skills are extremely lacking, most of the work tended to be dimentional restoration, & sheet metal crack repairs.
I've dabbled with MIG, Heavier TIG & Stick in college & night courses over the years, but not to a level where I would be any good to anyone.

So my initial plan was to mabye wait till the skill centres open up again, spend some of my redundancy money to learn MIG so I can try and get into a fabshop and build my expierience from there.
I would make a guess that places like this would be a fertile environment for gaining expierience.

my primary question is, is there any specific standards to aim for with MIG, and how long do you think It would take to get my MIG skills to a level that is actually useful to an employer ? (I understand that this is very ambiguious question).

And additionally is there any other advice anyone could give me, or alternative routes to go in ? I would be extremely greatful for any advice.
I am not bothered about pay, I've loved welding since the start of my apprentiship, and really want to start building more expierience, that is my current priority.

Thanks to anyone who spends the time to reply.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage