Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stick Welding
razorlad
post Jan 24 2007, 06:31 PM

I have done Mig welding for the past 16 yrs with the odd occasional Stick Welding. I am trying to get out of Fab shops & was wondering would I be able to blag the stick work on a power station outtage or would I be better off maybe takin a refresher course sumwhere.Does any one know of any training services in E.Yorkshire?
Any help would be appreciated.....
asmeIX6G
post Jan 24 2007, 07:44 PM

seriously without sounding like a N0B do you really expect skilled welders who have enough trouble fighting off poles to tell someone who cant stick weld yeh BLAG IT and start on power stations. skilled welders have enough of a job gettin on the stations!
dazzle
post Jan 24 2007, 11:22 PM

Hey razorlad

Theres nothing wrong in trying 2 move on or better uself if thats wot ur thinkin of. rolleyes.gif
I've been fabin' & weldin' a good few yrs now, mig/tig in the shop & mma on site. I'm not a bad stick welder, I've seen alot worse anyway blush.gif

But put it this way, I wouldnt dream of chancin it & trying 2 get onto power station jobs etc. There's no way u'd get a start & in the unlikely event that u did, wot would u do- get some one else 2 weld 4 u? There's no where 2 hide in the welding game, u either can or u cant in those sort of jobs. In my experience blaggers always end up down the road.........or production welding sad.gif

If I were u i'd get on a course & get coded/approval certs, then see wots about.

all the best biggrin.gif
TIP DIP
post Jan 25 2007, 05:56 PM

make ya right there dazzle,
i can stick weld doin' down hand wertical and overhead but only on fillets
if i did a pipe it would end up like a f'king cullender,
shudder thinkin' about being laughed at all the way up the road.
though i fancy me chances on mig but i've never got any money to do it

cheers
tip
dazzle
post Jan 25 2007, 07:20 PM

Hey tip dip

Pipe collinder lol!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Know what u mean about no money though, its the chicken or the egg scenario, 2 earn more u would need better approvals/codings but u never have any spare dough to pay 4 them. BUMMER angry.gif

Havent got a clue what u'd pay 4 an asme or BS287 nowadays, have u? unsure.gif
TIP DIP
post Jan 25 2007, 09:06 PM

i've no idea dazzle
living in lincolnshire there never seems to be any work involving codes
other than a bit of ali tig work, and i'm not much good at that.
i wouldn't even know where to start for asme or lloyds round here,
a chap told me he thought it was about 700-800 so when you're on 6.50 p/h.....
say no more

cheers

tip
Rockin the Root
post Jan 25 2007, 09:16 PM

Get yourself to Babcocks they will approve you to say 2" carbon full tig for around 110

Rockin
dazzle
post Jan 25 2007, 11:20 PM

Hey Rockin

Do Babcocks only test out on pipework? unsure.gif As I'd be lookin at testing in platework/structural mma.

Cheers Dazzle biggrin.gif
3Rs
post Jan 26 2007, 12:09 AM

Does Babcocks still have "a" school?
asmeIX6G
post Jan 26 2007, 08:39 AM

hi TIP DIP where in lincolnshire are you? im over near skeggy n mabo. i didnt know anyone else lived round here haha, true tho about no work or being able to get with a company to code you! i went to TWI 360 ish to get ya asme in 6" MMA.
TIP DIP
post Jan 26 2007, 08:29 PM

now then asme
how you doin',
i'm down in ruskington near sleaford,
theres jack s..t here unless you want farm trailers or ploughs then they tell you
''well its agricultural work what do you expect'' sad.gif
so if we weld up space shuttle components... would we get astronauts wages?
yer right oh.
i work for myself scrattin' about doing quarry and plant repairs to making gates
and stuff but everyone wants it all for nothin'
tell me,what sort of work could i get if i was coded in mig on plate? i'm under the impression
that most coded work is MMA or TIG which as i've said before i can stick weld but i've seen better
ontig i can just about weld up somebody's exhaust but like me ...its not pretty

cheers

tip
asmeIX6G
post Jan 26 2007, 09:43 PM

ah ryte i made a spiral staircase for a home for the mentally handicapped in ruskington! to be honest i dont worry about getting coded in MIG at the mo cuz im self employed and get plenty of work just stick welding im testing on monday for a place in gainsborough to make it "fun" they havent told me what the test is and in what process! ah well. do you know yan from welton quarry then? because he now has gear at ancaster quarry i done work for him and all his gear is a wreck and always needs repairing! you ever heard of paul chafer welding? thats where i used to work. he was always busy and there was only 3 of us. mainly work at fantasy island n caravan sites n such up n down the coast. but we also did lots of agricultural work.
the amount of digger buckets i have had to weld up and the farmers always complain its too expensive or not done quick enough. then to top it that try and pay you with a couple of turnips and a chicken!
TIP DIP
post Jan 27 2007, 08:15 PM

asme
i don,t remember havin' a spiral staicase, when did you do that and did i pay ya ? laugh.gif
workin' in holland could be a laugh biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

take it easy

tip
asmeIX6G
post Jan 28 2007, 01:47 PM

haha well i was told if you have a tendency to walk in a circle then a spiral staircase is what you need. laugh.gif yeh i cnt remember what road it was on the place we did it but i never seen a nut house like it. 6 'guests' 22 staff and 2000 a week to stay there! it was like a mansion!
yeh i reckon holland cud be good fun too so i going to give it a go my mate is coming with me also well if u do decide to give it a try let me know. i think it would be a great help knowing as many people as you can out there. hope its close to amsterdam!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
Wildbill
post Feb 12 2007, 06:16 PM

hey ASMEIX6G u mincer biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

U got paid alot dint ya??
Turnips and a chicken?

I only got one wheel of cheese laugh.gif
asmeIX6G
post Feb 12 2007, 07:53 PM

haha wildbill you have returned! blush.gif your the mincer! lol. yeh i used to get a slack handful of turnips and a chicken. cant argue with a wheel of cheese! thort u was coming round today anyway!? unsure.gif let me know your adress in holland when you go! ill come an see you when my freekin passport comes through!
Wildbill
post Feb 12 2007, 08:33 PM

yeh will do mateus

Liquidator
post Oct 13 2020, 12:32 PM

I have a question for since you know about stick welding. What welder will be the best choice? I have found a few comparisons of stick welding machines but they are all in German. Like this stick welders Which one from the list is good?
Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage