Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> weld test 5F-up / PH advice and study
try_some_welding
post Aug 3 2017, 06:10 AM

Hello all

I'm going for a weld test.

5F-up / PH
(tube (horizontal axis) to plate (vertical))

GMAW / MIG (process 135 - Argon-mix ArCO2)

Steel

Any suggestions?

Any resources I can benefit from ?
eg. videos online

I can do 3F vertical-up / PF, and other positional.

I use dip-transfer at about 120A - is that about right?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Ballbearing
post Aug 3 2017, 12:45 PM

Only thing I can suggest is make sure you pause long enough on the pipe side (if you are weaving).
If you are going to get undercut it would normally be on the pipe side and not the plate side so if you pause a little longer you should be safe.
Hope that helps,
BB
try_some_welding
post Aug 8 2017, 08:11 AM

Thanks for comment.
I found the conditions for PH-fillet (pipe horizontal plate vertical) multi-run totally unfamiliar - down at something like 85A. I am mostly in spray (I uniquely set the machine per joint-config and straight-run - hence usually in spray). When I do PF-fillet on thick plate, it's at about 120A (dip), single-run, so still a world away though not a universe away (metaphorically).
Therefore - I backed-out.
It's probably accelerated the entire learning process "charging in there", flying face-first into the dirt (figuratively) and having a profound appraisal of what my next step is...
If MIG is in general easier than SMAW, it was suggested for this case of PH-fillet, SMAW with Basic (7016, 7018) would run naturally and be easier, whereas MIG'ing it is an extreme test of welding skill against an extreme challenge (?).
Try Some
Ballbearing
post Aug 8 2017, 11:47 AM

TSW,
MIG is generally easier than SMAW in the flat positions only (or even horizontal).
Try welding MIG out of position (especially vertical) and you have a whole new ballgame.
Good luck,
BB
try_some_welding
post Sep 22 2017, 07:08 AM

QUOTE (Ballbearing @ Aug 8 2017, 12:47 PM) *
TSW,
MIG is generally easier than SMAW in the flat positions only (or even horizontal).
Try welding MIG out of position (especially vertical) and you have a whole new ballgame.
Good luck,
BB

Hi Ballbearing, all
I had to come to this realisation. People admired that I could put in a good fillet in the PF position - but new reality moment - that is in an absolutely constant condition. Go for PH and, as you say, you have a whole new ballgame.
I Coded MIG PB steel tube-to-plate multirun.
That was an experience - and it was tense waiting for the outcome.
Thanks for moral support.
Try Some
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage