Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6G R
JLoop64
post Sep 10 2017, 08:01 PM

Has anyone ever done a 6gr rooting with flux core
piggy6r4
post Sep 11 2017, 08:45 PM

Hi jloop,
I've not the 6gr but have done 2,3 and 5 if that helps 😛
gapstobig
post Sep 12 2017, 04:07 PM

Never seen or heard of 2gr a 3gr and 5gr? is this something new?
Boilerbuster
post Sep 12 2017, 06:20 PM

Rooting with flux core is nothing out of the ordinary, as long as it's a metal or basic flux core wire.
fedupwelder
post Sep 13 2017, 09:11 AM

2g is plate horizontal, 3g is plate vertical, and 5g is pipe fixed in vertical position. The R means they are all fitted with restrictor plate to make the test more difficult. To answer Gapstobig question these are not new I did these tests twenty odd years ago for rig work in Holland. Happy days.
gapstobig
post Sep 13 2017, 03:59 PM

OK. Not heard of a plate test with a restrictor plate. Probably because i have only ever done pipe tests.
JLoop64
post Sep 13 2017, 08:09 PM

Did you guys actually root the pipe in the 6g position With flux core, I have
Done many with stick & tig root & bare wire mig, fill & cap with flux core, done plenty plate roots with flux core, never known pipes rooted with it, I've been in the game 36 year most of it in oil n gas industry
Uncle D
post Sep 13 2017, 10:34 PM

There's no such thing as 2GR,3GR or 5GR,the welding tests for the rig yards here and Holland years ago were usually a 6G and a 6GR - root,HP and cap done with MMA using low Hydrogen rods
gapstobig
post Sep 14 2017, 05:43 PM

Agree uncle d. I thought it was something new i hadn't heard of. I worked in the Dordrecht yard in the 70s and it was a 6g all low hi. The 6gr was not a common test. I done a couple in the 70s and early 80s. bevel half to a flat edge all low hi. It was always at least 6" heavy wall. ohmy.gif
JLoop64
post Sep 14 2017, 07:48 PM

Uncle D
Correct,, Philips 56s or filarc 88 test used to take 2 days to complete
Think the welding game is doomed now , full of chancers, I don't no much about your job
But my book says your doing it wrong, I've just started for a company who want a 6gr rooted with flux core
I personally don't think it can be done properly with a lloyds inspecter watching over, company say 8 weld ers in there other factory have done it
Uncle D
post Sep 15 2017, 12:01 PM

Yes JLoop64,there's very few decent jobs around,been that way for years,all these non-descript Agencies don't help,how they get away with using other Companies codings is beyond me,I've even seen instances of Agencies asking people to supply their own safety gear!!!
Boilerbuster
post Sep 15 2017, 05:45 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble JLoop64, but it can be done. Your stuck in the nineties mate.
Rooting with metal or basic flux core wires has been going on for some 20 years or so and is every bit as good as or, if not better than rods because you have fewer pick ups and your twice as quick, also cutting down the chance of the the root gap closing up. The crimp is severe.
I was also working in a offshore fab shop in Holland in the 90,s / 00,s. We were rooting up, filling and capping with Lincoln T55H 1.2mm basic flux cored wire, running on an negative polarity. Granted, its not the easiest wire to use but once mastered, you were 3 times quicker than a lad on the rods with the same quality of weld and also the same excelent mechanical properties.
Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Rooting with rutile flux core wire (except with ceramic backing tiles) is just about impossible, but I have seen it done.

B.Buster.

This post has been edited by Boilerbuster: Sep 15 2017, 05:51 PM
Uncle D
post Yesterday, 09:25 AM

Check out this nonsense from an agency -

I am currenlty looking for welders to work in the Dartford, work has a duration of around 6 months.

Welders must have PPE and their own tools and will be asked to sit a test before the role begins on the first day.

I am happy to speak to any welders RE rates. These roles start next week and work will be in a workshop
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage