Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rope access
toshamov
post Jul 19 2018, 06:18 AM

Anyone here work as a Ltd contractor and gone through rope access? Has it opened up more work and higher paid work? I haven't got any tickets and have done alright without the last 2 year's but want to take it further. I haven't seen many rope access jobs advertised so thought I'd ask before forking out for a course
Tungsten sharpen...
post Jul 20 2018, 10:11 AM

Roped access was a useful addition, mainly tank entries, it never earned as much as it cost but then I did it for the interest if I'm honest.....

IRATA is the body that the HSE recognises.

IRATA is a money making machine, a bit like pyramid selling in my opinion.

Pay your cash for training to IRATA 1 standard, of you go to try and use it. Then you find that you need an IRATA 3 qualification to rig and run your jobs......

You can't buy your way to IRATA 3 you have to have hundreds of logged hours on the ropes before you can get there.

Catch 22, not quite, you employ an IRATA 3 to supervise which costs much more than your average tradesman.

A big jobs for the boys club......

I did a fair bit of sports climbing in the military and decided not to go down the IRATA route.

I worked in a similar manner, always with a working line and two separate safety lines, my risk assessment /safety plan was as robust as any IRATA contractor and my team never had so much as a slip.

I did have some issue with customers trying to insist that any rope work must be under the auspices of IRATA.
HSE were always happy to assess my safety planning, my work has been used by them as an example of best practice on a number of sites. This usually resolved any issue's but not always, I lost some work through not having an IRATA badge.

As with any training, buyer beware.......

TS

Tungsten sharpen...
post Jul 20 2018, 11:52 AM

Look at CAN offshore.

TS
toshamov
post Jul 20 2018, 12:42 PM

Cheers for the info, didnt realise how hard it is to get a level 3. All the job ads ask for quite alot of tickets on top of the irata and the rates don't really reflect the cost very well. sounds like more hassle than it's worth! Shame really, I'm pretty bored of fab shops
Captain
post Jul 21 2018, 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Tungsten sharpener @ Jul 20 2018, 12:52 PM) *
Look at CAN offshore.

TS

Ha!
I remember that mob when they first started out in the North Sea in the late 1980's.
Bunch of cowboys.

But bear in mind that Rope Access is PURELY a means to get on to a job - and does away with scaffolding.
The REAL skill is with you the welder - actually doing the work.
Tungsten sharpen...
post Jul 21 2018, 04:11 PM

Yes Captain but they charge you a few grand for the privilege of being a cowboy, bloody brilliant.......

TS
Captain
post Jul 22 2018, 08:18 AM

Aye, as they say - fools and their money are easily parted.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage