Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> triangle minx 180 200-480v wiring
Malti
post Nov 21 2017, 04:57 PM

Hi' I have a Triangle Minx 180 welding set and it is running on 230v AC. On the name plate it says Volts 200-480. Can somboty help me, I need to use this machine on 480 3 phase. On the inside of the case there was a stiker with the wiring instructions but it is not visibel any more. Any ideas? Thanks
rodofgod
post Nov 22 2017, 07:23 PM

Electricians job, if you get it wrong - BANG!
Malti
post Nov 23 2017, 06:51 PM

Thanks. That is what I am afraid of.
apprentice
post Dec 16 2017, 08:37 PM

Hi there,

This machine is a single phase one, [LOADS of welders are] Anyway, the cable will have three cores, the earth which will be green, or green/yellow and two others, which at the moment you have wired between "live" and neutral.

What you have to do, is to connect these two "other" wires BETWEEN any two phases of the supply.

NOW READ THIS BIT CAREFULLY.

You MUST also open up the machine, and there will be "tappings" that at the moment will be set for 230V. You MUST MUST MUST reconnect these but for EITHER 400v OR 415V [I assume you are in the uk]

I have to tell you though that i advise you to get an electrician, as get this wrong, and you will either be killed or badly burned sufficiently to kill you over several days...

You have seen a welding arc at perhaps 200A at 25v??? You have seen a welding arc at 400A at 20 odd volts???

Well, the mains voltage between phases will be about 415-420v but the current?? how does anything up to 23 THOUSAND amps sound???

I doubt you will get this level where you are fiddling about, but you could well be looking at maybe 2000 or 4000 amps or possibly a lot more...

john..

This post has been edited by apprentice: Dec 16 2017, 08:38 PM
8 Milli Billi
post Dec 18 2017, 11:07 AM

Morning all. I think that the ONLY piece of advice that should be written in this topic is 1 line from John's post;

I have to tell you though that i advise you to get an electrician
[color="#000000"]
Anything else is ill advised and should never be attempted by an unqualified person, nor suggested in my opinion.

Regards
8 Milli
apprentice
post Dec 20 2017, 10:13 AM

True, i would not advise this unless you well and truly know what you are doing....

When it comes to identifying the cables in the supply they could be in a choice of TWO systems.. The one system uses black as neutral, and in the other it is "L2" [a phase]

Be careful out there!!

john..
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage