Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 15614 & 9606
deanoo85
post Mar 21 2018, 12:42 PM

Can anybody give me some clarity on the qualification ranges of 15614 & 9606?
The reason i ask is i have recently put one of our welders on a job which required single run fillet welds and
his 9606 coding stated he was covered for single & multi layer runs within the thickness tolerances etc, but
someone has pulled up the fact that the original wpqr was only stated as multi-run, now looking through both
standards i find them to be contradictory, shouldn't the 9606 welder coding's and the original weld be identical
in those qualification ranges? hope that makes sense and sorry for the drawn out explanation.]

Cheers
Deano
PulseGenerator
post Mar 21 2018, 10:49 PM

Are they querying the original WPQR that supports the welder qual or the WPQR that supports the production weld?

PulseGenerator
post Mar 21 2018, 10:57 PM

I read them as, a 15614-1 single run PQR qualifies a single run. Multi run qualifies multi run with no restriction on throat.

With 9606 a multi run WPQ qualifies sl & ml fillets. But the PQR he qualifies to should be a multi run.

I am prepared to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than myself however.
readywelderuk
post Apr 22 2018, 09:46 AM

A multi run WPQR to 15614 only covers multi runs not single runs.
A multi run Welder Approval to 9606 qualifies a welder for multi and single run. A single run Welder Approval covers single run only.
deanoo85
post May 9 2018, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the assistance all.

Cheers
Deano
Ballbearing
post May 10 2018, 12:40 AM

Deano,
Are you meaning the original WPS ?
"someone has pulled up the fact that the original wpqr was only stated as multi-run, now looking through both"

If the original PQR/WPS was multi-run then as the guys have stated - it cannot be used for single runs.
If the original PQR/WPS was multi-run then the welder can follow that for his qualification test and be qualified for multi and single run.
However, he cannot weld single run fillet welds in production without a PQR/WPS qualified on single run only.
Hope that makes sense,
Cheers,
BB
deanoo85
post May 15 2018, 08:05 AM

Yes that makes a lot of sense thank you BB
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage