Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> aluminium boat fuel tanks
gregyboy
post May 15 2018, 08:19 AM

I am having to make some large fuel tanks for a boat, ( 600 litre) what is the chosen grade of Aluminium and a preferd compatible tig rod.
Technic Al
post May 15 2018, 05:46 PM

I believe Aluminium (whatever grade) is not recommended for diesel tanks. Im no expert but I think its a corrosion issue. I should look into it before you spend any time and money.
I may be wrong but its better to be forewarned
gregyboy
post May 15 2018, 06:21 PM

Thanks Al, but it is used widely for marine fuel tanks, having done a bit of research already and looked at Aalco site they give this info http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Aluminiu...-Plate_149.ashx
But it would be good to speak to someone who can give some tips and advice, on putting baffles/ strengthener in etc.
Technic Al
post May 16 2018, 11:16 AM

it doesnt mention diesel tanks

I found an article in a yachting magazine but it wont allow me to post it. They were saying polypropylene or stainless is the best choice.
Google it
gregyboy
post May 16 2018, 08:24 PM

Thanks for Input Al, I too have done a fair bit of research, and there is a degree of conflict, that said if the material used is marine grade 5083 in theory it should be fit for purpose, I do know that it is used, and if correctly wired to a sacrificial anode that it will decelerate the corrosion factor.

The originals were mild steel ( painted) and (heavy) but have lasted 60 years... maybe thats the way to go.

I priced up the Ally today and its around the 500 mark
David 46
post Aug 25 2018, 10:49 AM

Hi,

I have not been in here for a while so hello everyone. I think you will find that Alu is used very often for Diesel Tanks. Almost all Truck Tanks are made of Aluminiun and are welded. The Tanks are strengthened from the inside and have plates inside with holes in to stop the Juice sloshing around. As I remember the Tanks themselves are I think AlMg 3 and the filler wire AlMg4,5Mn. it is quite a while since I had to do with them so check on the plate and filler.
David.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage