Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vodex alternatives?
Lincolnhill
post Dec 12 2020, 11:25 PM

Hi all, hope someone can help with
Now i know some 6013 like vodex have great mechanical properties for a 6013.
I know that a lot of 6013 have poorer qualities and poorer penetration
I know esab,bohler etc have some very good 6013 rods, and probably have rods that can match them maybe even outperform them, but im wondering could anyone recomend other 6013 rods with similar properties or has anyone got recommendations for other 6013s for tank/pipework that can compare or stick it to vodex?
Have used Zodians, miltrodes, and few different bohlers but how do they stack up mechanicaly compared to vodex?
Any info would be much appreciated

Technic Al
post Dec 13 2020, 11:04 AM

Vodex can be thought of as a 6013 with a bit of 7018 added. It had a twin brother Vortic Marine which was identical except for the colour. The VM was used a lot in Shipyards, on jobs where really they should have been using 7018 but the VM mechanicals were just good enough (LRS Grade 3) There used to be alternatives but there isnt much call for them these days so the market isnt there, and as a consequence they have gone.
There are 7018s that are easy to use (sort of 7018 with a bit of 6013 added), the Oerlikon Spezial is one, Bohler do the Comet J50 and there are others......they usually have a black glassy slag.
Lincolnhill
post Dec 13 2020, 01:22 PM

Ah vortic marine they were the blue ones werent they?
Yeah we mainly use vodex on storage tanks and some pipework (when acceptable)but there getting more expensive and a lot of our work is on the coast of ireland very damp and very wet weather we have used a lot of 7018 here and 6010, sometimes 6011 nu5 root but when possible its hard to beat 6013 in my opinion for some applications (no need for ovens/quivers) (dont have to rebake etc)
Its a shame really the markets gone in some ways i guess
Well have to stick with vodex and 7018 in that case,
Have used spezial really must try the bohler as we use a lot of bohler(great products)
Thanks very much for the info 👍🏻
CChive68
post Dec 18 2020, 01:43 AM

Vodex and Vortic Marine were excellent rods. Used them loads in my formative years. Got in to HVAC ,for a spell, and Metrode made a cracking 6013 called ???????
Lincolnhill
post Dec 18 2020, 11:15 PM

Hmmm metrode arent they owned by lincoln?
Technic Al
post Dec 19 2020, 08:06 AM

they are now
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage