Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fly lead adaptor on multi-voltage welder
ceferistul
post Aug 25 2020, 07:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to welding and I have just ordered a welding machine online. It's a Thermal Arc 161s Dual Voltage (110v/230v). I intend to use it mostly on construction sites so I will keep a 110v 32a plug on it at all times.

However, sometimes I may need to use a 230v supply. Being a multi-voltage welder, I figure I would have to slap a 230v plug on it and I'm good to go.

But browsing the online stores I came across these adaptor fly leads with a 230v plug on one end and a 110v 32a socket on the other.

My question: Is it possible to safely use said fly lead for welding and save myself the hassle of changing plugs on the machine? I know the store says "only for PAT testing" but I'm thinking if the machine is already set to 230v input, what harm can it do? Has anyone found themselves in this situation? If so, how did you proceed?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!

Regards,

Sorin
davy_boy2004
post Aug 27 2020, 02:36 PM

Thats what i have made up for my inverter and it works fine. Not sure on the legality of it so wouldnt use one on site but handy for the odd job where you only have 230v available.
ceferistul
post Aug 28 2020, 02:12 PM

thanks for the reply!
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage