Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning stick
toshamov
post Dec 20 2016, 10:15 AM

Just after some tips on fillet welds using the stick, I'm a tig welder but the new place have lots of material so I finally have a chance to learn some stick. We only have 6013 rods in a variety of diameters. I was doing some angle to box today 5mm thick using a 3.2 rod set at 85 amps. The flat butts came out perfect but the fillets not so much. They come out OK but I'm struggling with the toes on all positions, vertical up and flat. I either get undercut or lack of fusion on the toes so would catch dye easily. On the vertical fillet I did a bit of a half moon weave pausing on the toes to try burn them in, first run was undercut second run was lack of fusion.
gapstobig
post Dec 20 2016, 11:18 AM

Try practicing with 2.5 till you get the hang of it. I find it unusual that you were not taught stick welding when doing your apprenticeship or where ever you started out.
Rook
post Dec 20 2016, 07:43 PM

Bring up the power for 3.2.better off practising on heavier plate.soaks your heat better.try using vodex if u have them.they're forgiving with varying current.burn them on negative and they give a good bite
toshamov
post Dec 20 2016, 08:26 PM

I've found it easier with the thicker rod to be honest. My welds are too small with thin rod

I done my apprenticeship in motorsport and then went on to aerospace so was only taught tig

This post has been edited by toshamov: Dec 20 2016, 08:27 PM
gapstobig
post Dec 20 2016, 09:46 PM

OK, So as long as i am clear on this. Not sure where the flat butts are, but what size is the angle iron? What size is the box section?. Are you welding vertical because its such a big fabrication? Oh and not sure what you mean by the toes.
Rook
post Dec 20 2016, 10:42 PM

Try using vodex on heavier plate.they're tolerant to varying current.burn them on negative for a good bite.should sort out lack of fusion
toshamov
post Dec 26 2016, 07:23 AM

The box is the same width as the box so there's 2 flat welds. It's not huge, I can move it about I just wanted to try vertical up. Even on the flat fillets I had problems though. The toes as in the edges of the weld
3Rs
post Dec 30 2016, 05:26 PM

The reason why your getting undercut and other defects on the toes, is the fact you are A. not holding the rod long enough, B. your arc length is possible to long.

While welding vert Fillets its VERY important you keep a very very tight arc,
(if you get a stick rod tun your juice up)

On the 1st pass dont weave just "motor" up the seem, ensuring you dont leave any form of slag inclusion, 2nd pass dont use the have moon method or you will find you will have excess metal dangling in the middle with no where to go. Instead move from right too let or left to right (depending what you prefer)
get a stable arc and weave while keeping a tight arc...

Flat fillets

about 150 amps

dont weave drag the rod, ensuring you dont have any slag inclusion (if you do turn the juice up)
maintain an angle of approx 45 degrees on your 1st pass. drop the angle for your 2nd pass ensuring that you are catching the between half lef length on your 1st pass, (slag inclusion guess what turn your juice up)
3rd pass you want to be catching the top half of the 1st weld and ctatching the top top of the 2nd pass if you have slag inclusion ("Dont turn juice up" change your angles and move quicker)

toshamov
post Jan 31 2017, 09:42 PM

Thanks 3rs, I finally got a chance to do some more today. Kept the arc very tight, better but still nowhere near. Is the root run a fairly fast pass? It comes out looking like a cold weld but I'd turn it up its like it digs into the material like its too hot
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage