Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cscs card
post Aug 5 2009, 09:20 PM
Joined: 23-Oct 06

hi guys i have just completed a city and guilds level 3 pipe welding as mentioned in another post on here
the thing is i want to know if this is suitable for me to now apply for a gold card skilled worker cscs card ?
as i do have some previous site experience

or should i use my level 2 quals ie mig tig mma and ali tig for a blue skilled worker card ?

as im unsure as to which card will cover me better

i know it may seem as a bit of a dumb question to some of you but i am not sure as to which i should apply for

thanks for any advice gav dry.gif
post Aug 6 2009, 01:56 PM
Joined: 4-May 09

See here -->> Types of CSCS Skills Cards <<-- then click on the 'More info'.

If you have an -->> ACE Card <<-- it may qualify you as a CSCS card also.
I had my Ace Card converted no problem for free.

This post has been edited by Raptor: Aug 6 2009, 02:03 PM
big ant
post Aug 6 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined: 20-May 09

go for the gold card as this shows employers your level and skills also it shows youve completed level 3 city n guilds and dont need to show certs as they can check validity online
post Aug 6 2009, 07:54 PM
Joined: 4-May 09

big ant

You can go for whatever coloured card you like, but they will only give the 'right' card that your qualifications say you can have.
post Aug 6 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined: 1-Nov 06

gold card were only given out originally to those that served a full apprenticeship
within the hvac shipbuilding industry.
everyone else got a blue
it may have changed now
post Aug 6 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined: 23-Oct 06

so am i right in thinking that i can get a gold card then with a level 3 city and guilds ?
just all seems rather confusing to me blush.gif
post Aug 7 2009, 08:06 AM
Joined: 4-May 09


You may qualify for a gold skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 3, or if you have completed an approved indentured apprenticeship (e.g.with NJCBI, BATJIC etc.) or an employer sponsored apprenticeship and completed a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.

If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job see Experienced Worker Card for more information.

All applicants must pass the construction health and safety test.

If that's not clear, give them a ring. All the info you need is in the --> CSCS <<-- link.
post Aug 7 2009, 11:25 AM
Joined: 23-Mar 04

Hi gents, I needed my gold cscs card renewed, phoned and got my test for today 9.30am. My problem started from then. On going to the test centre, I was given a operatives test to do, I told the gent that I was here to renew my card,as a Steel Frabricator-Welder. "This is what you have been given to do" he said the operative test. We had a discussion for a few mins, he then phoned whoever (maybe the wife) who told him that is what I was booked in for. What I need to know is ,is that the right test or have i been taken in (again). I have
phoned cscs queries department 5 times but they have a huge number of calls (possibly same as mine)
post Aug 7 2009, 03:47 PM
Joined: 24-Jan 07

WELL i have a blue one
and on the back it says (bs en 287/1 welding certificates- see certificate heating and ventilation welder.)
I have never worked in the H&V industry
the only question on the test relating to welding was what colour is an acetylene bottle
a green
b blue
c maroon
you where given 50 mins to do the test
so the card gets me on to site but does not prove how skilled i am at my job
mine would look nice in gold then i could pretend it was a gold credit card
post Aug 7 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined: 4-May 09


The operatives test is correct. See this link -->> Level of Health and Safety Test Required <<--

The test is an alleged Health and Safety test. It has very little to do with your trade and is not designed to tell others how skilled the owner of the card is.

Again, if you have an ACE card (within the last 2 years), you do not have to take a CSCS Health and Safety test as it's incorporated into the -->> ACE card <<--
post Aug 7 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined: 23-Mar 04

Raptor, thanks for clearing that up for me... a quick response, first class

Willbill biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Midlands Mate
post Aug 8 2009, 01:30 PM
Joined: 29-Jun 08

boys as usual everyone flies off at a tangent, a cscs card has got nothing to do with skill level in any particular trade ,its a basic safety test and that you can either get a basic skills card or pay another 28 quid without any other testing and get an experienced worker card in any trade .Its of no interest to an employer but purely a requirement by the safety officer on most major sites.
post Aug 8 2009, 04:56 PM
Joined: 23-Mar 04

Raptor, thanks for clearing that up for me.


post Dec 5 2019, 04:39 AM
Joined: 5-Dec 19

Yeah Thank you for all this information. biggrin.gif

Uncle D
post Dec 5 2019, 02:50 PM
Joined: 9-May 04

If you have served an indentured apprenticeship and can produce your "papers" you can apply for a Blue CSCS card,if you went to tech college during your apprenticeship and can produce a copy of City & Guilds Part III in Welding Engineering Craft Studies you can apply for a Gold CSCS card,there is also a Gold card for trade supervisors,its a way of making money and the criteria,price will probably change again next year
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage