Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tungsten furring up
superlativesoul
post Feb 16 2017, 09:55 PM

hi all ,
just a question for tig welders using argon on stainless steel .on striking up the tip of the 2% thoriated tungsten furrs up. Happens every time ,this occurs with the majority of the welders .we are using kempii mastertig sets .could this be due to inferior ARGON ? .The machine has a preflow of 2 secs and postflow of 12 secs ,using gas lens also recently ,using no 12 pyrex cup this keeps the weld really clean even at high amperages also large gas cups ceramics with large gas lens ,but it is this niggling thing at striking up .
any ideas greatly appreciated
cheers John
whittm
post Feb 18 2017, 08:10 PM

Tungsten diameter and ampage?
superlativesoul
post Feb 18 2017, 09:32 PM

hi ,
the diameter is extensively 2.4 2% Thoriated tungsten the amperage can vary from 60 amps up to 150 , in my last job 32 yrs i cannot recall this happening, but we we using boc stainshield as the gas and not argon so was wondering if this is the reason this occurs also the power source was a transtig . the company also uses 303 on some parts i know this is a free cutting stainless and generally considered un weldable , but i cannot get them to change so there is a tendency for undercutting and the tip of the tungsten can erode quicker. The majority of the material is 304l,316l . I have asked for lanthiated tungsten to see if it may resolve this issue .
regards John
Backpurge
post Feb 27 2017, 07:04 PM

What flavour Stainshield ie TIG, Light, Universal etc etc
superlativesoul
post Feb 27 2017, 08:47 PM

Hi
BOC stainshield tig was the gas, we have tried using Air Products inomaxx tig,also use their Argon and problem still arises ,its a niggling problem having to keep sharpening tungstens
cheers for showing intrest
regards John
toshamov
post Mar 2 2017, 05:55 AM

I've had this problem before with cheap tungsten, we got some parweld stuff in and it was terrible the tungsten needed sharpening very frequently. You could try a blue tip tungsten I found it to be very good for stainless
3Rs
post Mar 5 2017, 07:39 AM

Im having the same problem,

Only I am welding carbon, using Gold tips (as supplied by the company), and for ever sharpening them. I do however have Red tips and their holding the point a lot longer. but then the red tip tungstens are laced with radiation.

have you looked at pure Tungsten (green tip)

Blue tips are I believe are for stainless steel. (correct me if I am wrong)
superlativesoul
post Mar 5 2017, 04:03 PM

Hi all
The red tip tungstens are 2%Thoriated and been industry standard for Carbon and Stainless, i have been using these for past 44 years and have not generally experienced this problem before only if touching down ect , however as stated in my earlier post the shielding gas was Boc Stainshield tig, the machine inverter different to the one currently using whether this is the possible issue i do not know . These tungstens do contain radioactive thoria but after using these for so long before research into the effects on welders health may be too late in my case although have had regular x-rays . Obviously younger welders will be made more aware to the potential effects and risk assessments hopefully been carried out by responsible employers . However i transgress ,I was going to ask for blue ,Gold tips these are lanthiated and colour is based on % of the tungsten but if you are experiencing the same effects may not bother . these do not contain radioactive material safer to welders health can be used for welding aluminum using dc as well as ac although using a mix of helium to argon on dc . I have used ceriated tungsten in the past and even if point has gone the restrike ability has not been diminished too much . Thanks to all who have read the post and contributed to possible remedies
regards John
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage