Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Single phase welding equipment
Canyondust
post Jan 28 2017, 04:50 PM

Hello.

I am looking for some advice with respect to single phase welding equipment. I have been looking at inverter types (on this forum, and reviews).

My use for such a machine is to fabricate small systems, such as brackets for fixtures, small machine repairs, vehicle repairs (but not bodywork).

The current/old machine is a traditional ARC which has finally failed.

Regards
James.
try_some_welding
post Jan 29 2017, 08:23 AM

Small inverter "arc" / "stick" / SMAW should cover a lot of your work.
Costs nothing when not doing anything.
Sounds like MIG would cover all, if work is indoors (MIG can't withstand wind - no outdoor use).
apprentice
post Jan 29 2017, 12:05 PM

I agree with the above..

But something decent though, none of your chinese stuff. Spend a bit more and get something from lincoln or murex or something

A MIG may well be be a good choice, but you will have to get the gas for it. BOC are the best i suppose. Bottle rental is about 10 a month though

john..
Canyondust
post Jan 29 2017, 12:37 PM

Hello chaps.
Thank you for the replies.

The idea of not having to obtain gas is appealing I must admit.
I have only ever had the opportunity to use low cost MIG welders (the likes of machine mart, SIP in the lower current range) and never had the chance to use an inverter type for Arc type welding.

When small is described what sort of size should I be looking at?
Is it sensible to look for a new or second hand ?
And (assuming the better makes as you kindly describe) is the reliability something I should even think about ?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards
James.
apprentice
post Jan 29 2017, 06:28 PM

Enter "LINCOLN-Electric-INVERTEC-150s-140A-suitcase-NEW" into the well know (sorry no advertising) site..

It all depends though what you want to weld, and how much welding you want to do.. The requirements for a set to run 5mm rods is a bit different to that required to run 2.5's

Likewise, the set required to run 2 x 3.25 rods one after the other, is a bit different from a set that is required to run a whole pack of them, one straight after another..

Only you know what you are doing..

john..

This post has been edited by apprentice: Jan 29 2017, 06:33 PM
jaz.maclellan
post Jan 31 2017, 08:12 PM

You should consider a multi process machine, this would give you stick, mig and scratch start tig. They are available in single phase and are inverter based. Look at the thermal arc 180, 211, or 251. Lincoln speedtec 200 amp or miller do a 220amp machine. Prices go from 580 for the thermal arm 180 to around 1400. The Lincoln machine is for sale at 1049.00 plus vat. I hope this is of help. Regards J
Canyondust
post Feb 1 2017, 11:56 AM

Hello all.

Thank you for such useful help; it has given me plenty to read and investigate.

I have come across a Thermal Arc 252i as a second user machine but unsure if this is wise.

The concept of a multi process machine would appear to have good merits.

As for using a few 2.5mm rods or a whole pack - I'm certainly in the bracket of the former to which I will pay attention to duty cycle vs my wallet.

With respect.

James.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage