Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Career Advice to get into welding
RAL46
post Aug 13 2017, 04:37 PM

Hi guys, I'm 23 and from the UK. I did my NVQ Level 2 and VRQ in Engineering which I did a unit of Welding. I absolutely loved welding and was a natural at doing it lets say. This is what I wanted to do when leaving school but couldn't find an apprenticeship locally. I've tried and tried to get into places locally but they never got back to me, so I've always had a different job to welding. I'm now 23 and I feel like its time to get my weld back on but which is the best way to get into the industry? Welding apprenticeships aren't very common near me and now that I'm 23 it feels like I should of done it years ago. I've looked into evening classes at my local colleges and they don't do any courses. But there is a site 15 miles away which does do Level 2 and Level 3 Welding City & Guilds. So overall each trip will total up to 30 miles. Employers now want experience instead of qualifications, so I'm stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place. Can somebody please point a finger into the right direction?
BIG STEROID
post Aug 14 2017, 05:52 PM

Middle finger any help?
cheesed off
post Aug 15 2017, 05:35 AM

LOVED IT. That won't last long, you'll be hating it within a month, defonately getting worse. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
3Rs
post Sep 2 2017, 08:00 PM

You should have tryed even harder when you where younger.
So you can do a course 15 miles away its up to you young man, trade skills verses 30miles?

By the sound of things you have wasted a lot of your own time.
My advice would be..... do the course 15 miles away, and knock the doors of the local engineering company's who employ welders, I would also strongly advise you that you don't sell your self as just a welder but as a fabrictor- welder that means you need to know how to read drawings cut material to size and shape teck and weld.
Then you might just be able to get places....... you young man need too think outside the box if you want too get ahead or into the game of welding. you will more than likely spend half your weeks wages on fuel....(we have all been their)

This post has been edited by 3Rs: Sep 2 2017, 08:04 PM
toshamov
post Sep 13 2017, 01:43 PM

I've been welding and fabricating for 5 years and I still love it. There really aren't that many places that take on purely welders anymore and if they do they usually expect you to be able to do some fabrication work.

I left Aberdeen and came way down south when I started out, working weekend's at dominoes and a restaurant while serving my time to keep enough money coming in. Stayed late every night to get more time under the hood, like 3Rs says you really gotta put alot of effort in to get ahead and be prepared to drive alot because the work won't come to you

Are there any little shops around you? They tend to be easier to get into without qualifications or lots of experience. If you can't get an apprenticeship it's probably worth doing the level 3, atleast you have experience then and you'll have more than a week of welding under your belt
fedupwelder
post Sep 16 2017, 01:00 PM

There are no proper welding job's about now, in my day everybody stuck to there own trade. If anybody was caught doing a welders job say such as a plater or vice versa the job would be stopped and you would be out of the gate.
I see jobs advertised now for welder/fabricater, plater paying 8 an hour. And if you get a spare moment you are expected to sweep up. The game is absolutely F- - - - d.
That's why I decided to get out of the game . I work for the local authority now on more money and not running around like an headless chicken on peanuts.
When I started out I did a proper 5 year apprenticeship not these 20 week courses at college. And then expecting to come out a fully fledged welder.
Ive seen them come and expect to keep up with an experienced welder and look proper idiots.
My advice is look for something else paying better money and easier.

Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage