Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excessive spatter stainless pulse mig
Steve r
post Dec 22 2016, 06:18 AM

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help.I have been looking at this forum for years so I hope somebody may have an answer.
The company I work for uses mainly pulse mig for mild steel, Ali, and stainless.
We have always had problems with stainless often getting excessive spatter. We have new kempii fastmig x450 machines which seem great but often have lots spatter on stainless.I,'ve tried everything . Lots of trim and lots of inductance etc but it doesn't make alot of difference.
We use bohler 1mill wire and our stainless is 304, 308 and316.
We are using a water based anti spatter. With mild steel we get no spatter whatsoever and no anti spatter is ever needed. Any suggestions guys? Thank you.
lacka fusion
post Dec 22 2016, 12:29 PM

try a couple of more volts on your settings. can you try an alternative anti spatter ?
Steve r
post Dec 22 2016, 02:57 PM

Thanks lacka this seems to happen on low voltage and higher voltage, different anti spatter could be something to try. We used to weld stainless with standard mig and i thought with pulse it would be a massive improvement on spatter related issues but so far it's not much different. We use Aztec gas too
rodofgod
post Dec 22 2016, 07:45 PM

Steve, I would guess that the gas mix you are using is less than ideal for S/S, some of the Astec mix gases as they were known are not ideal for S/S welding but perfect for C/S. Can you let us know the exact gas mix you are using for S/S?
Steve r
post Dec 23 2016, 08:00 AM

I will do mate I'm off work now until January 3rd. We were considering changing to innermax as it is cheaper
Technic Al
post Dec 24 2016, 09:52 AM

Inomax are the Air Products gases for Stainless but there are a few of them. Why dont you ask which one is best rather than go for the cheapest.
I would have thought Kempii would also help. They will have done trials somewhere and should have the info to share.

http://www.airproducts.ae/microsite/ae/exp...ng_Gases_EN.pdf
Steve r
post Dec 24 2016, 11:33 AM

Thanks Al we use Aztec at the minute inomax2 looks ok we could try that. Ill suggest to the boss
creamywelder
post Jan 16 2017, 07:05 PM

Try some solvent based anti spatter for stainless, the water based stuff wont work on the stainless.
8 Milli Billi
post Jan 17 2017, 12:03 PM

With pulsed arc, you should not need anti spatter. You need to check with Kemppi as to which gas mixture has been used when their synergic line was created, otherwise the voltage correction will always need to be altered. Some manufacturers use only the gases with a % of helium to create their synergic lines in stainless (eg Stainshield light/ heavy/ universal). We have one for both Argon Co2 (Innomax from Air Products or Specshield 2.5% Co2 in Argon) for our Stainless programmes. You may also check the type of wire as i find that the Lsi type stainless gives much less spatter as a rule.

Hope this helps
Steve r
post Jan 18 2017, 09:41 PM

Thanks to all who posted tips, we have innomax on order to try , will make sure we use lsi wire and try solvent based anti spatter. Ill let you know how it goes , thanks everybody
matt1978
post Jan 23 2017, 05:54 PM

As mentioned, if the machine is set correctly you shouldn't need any anti-spatter, as one of the primary selling benefits of Pulse welding is that it is (or atleast should be) a virtually spatter free process.
weldtone
post Jan 30 2017, 02:45 PM

probably gas although in my experience Kemppi is not the greatest
Lorch,Fronius and EWM seem to give the best condition on Stainless
And the right gas is usually 2-2.5% co2 in argon with a decent machine
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage