Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need new Oxy/Acetylene bottles
rodofgod
post Sep 28 2012, 12:01 PM

Hi All!

Had to re-read this post a couple of times.........!

fredC..welcome to UkWelder!

Not sure how long this thread is going to be live, pretty sure some gov agency will pull it! Interesting ideas!

Regards

This post has been edited by rodofgod: Sep 28 2012, 12:04 PM
hardface
post Sep 28 2012, 04:51 PM

Hi FredC
Do you have a recipe for nuclear power, me and my mate fancy giving it a go, we are getting sick of the bills from scottish power every quarter? Why not, it cant be any more bloody crazy than brewing your own gas at the bottom of the garden!!!!!!!!

HF
gsxr1
post Sep 28 2012, 08:58 PM

How many explosions have happened in HOUSEHOLDS in the uk caused by oxy/Acetylene full size bottles in the last five years.

How hot does a house fire have to be to detonate an acetylene bottle.

apprentice
post Sep 28 2012, 10:06 PM

Hi all,

Funnily enough, BOC are going to put a stop to all this "my mate can get it filled for you" buy barcoding the cylinders. This means that they know EXACTLY which cylinders you have. If you take back one that you were not officially issued with, you will then have it put on your account, and have to pay a years back rental. If you cannot return one you were issued with [cos you have swapped it] you will be charged for losing a bottle [best part of 500]

Kind of puts a stop to all the hire shops selling gas!!

john..
boilermaker
post Sep 28 2012, 10:08 PM

Water/Carbide Acetylene "generators" were in extensive use before the advent of Dissolved (in Acetone/Kapok matrix) Acetylene cylinders. Wouldn't trust some of the numpties with one these days though.
Backpurge
post Sep 30 2012, 06:26 PM

About 300 degrees for a couple of hours to set it on fire inside, then about another 24 hours for it to go bang
Goff
post Oct 1 2012, 08:47 PM

Boilermaker,
I seen one of those carbide /Water/ Acetylene makers about 3 weeks ago, I was told that it was made in the 30s and used up until recently by a garage, The Guy was after selling it , I have never seen one before, He also says that you cannot buy Carbide anymore , ????? It was located in the Suburbs of Nottingham.
Regards
Goff
boilermaker
post Oct 2 2012, 03:01 AM

Goff
It may be worth buying it as a rare industrial artifact. As to the sale of Calcium Carbide well I would not be surprised if it was not available any more as the HSE would be horrified if it was allowed to get in the hands of any of us children. No more caving for me then, I will have hang up my old Carbide light.
Go to the top of the page
2 Pages V  < 1 2
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage