Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hole
tig
post Sep 1 2017, 04:28 PM

I opened my 2.4 vacpac of 316 ss rods and proceded to do a T fillet procedure in front of the sun alliance inspector .
In the first 25 mm there was a pin hole he said it's ok because they don't test the first inch or last.
I have had this before where the rods are dry the plate is clean but still the pin holes appear anybody know why
Technic Al
post Sep 1 2017, 04:45 PM

It can be so many different reasons. The most common is contamination either on the plate or on/in the rod. Its unlikley to be moisture or it would be start porosity. Its also highly unlikely that you will ever discover the true reason, its been and gone. It can be as little as a greasy fingerprint.

With stainless the acid coated variety (-17) are the most prone to porosity as they suck moisture from the atmosphere very quickly.....which the technical reason why they vac pac them....theres also the commercial reason, they look better.

If theres a lot of porosity along the weld its usually technique.
tig
post Sep 1 2017, 05:00 PM

Could it be anything to do with the polarity at which they are welded at as I have always welded positive to rod
Technic Al
post Sep 1 2017, 06:42 PM

I doubt it unless stated otherwise on the label. If it was polarity you would expect the problem all along the weld or just at the stop/starts.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage