Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> thin metal weld question
Gwalian
post Dec 28 2019, 06:47 PM

Hi
I've got a little DIY/hobby project on the go. Part of the job requires fixing a stainless steel washer or small plate to a ss tube. The washer needs to be attached to one end of a short length of the tube (about 5cm) and allows the tube to then be fixed at right angles to a piece of wood. I'll have a go at posting a picture if all that's not very clear.

Now, the wall thickness of the ss tube is only 0.5mm. Is this a job that could be done with a weld?
Technic Al
post Dec 30 2019, 08:17 PM

You will need to TIG it....or find someone that can
Gwalian
post Dec 30 2019, 10:44 PM

Thanks, Al
I'd suspected that the cheaper and simpler options might not be available.
D'y think silver brazing might give me a servicable joint? There's no huge physical stress involve here.
Technic Al
post Dec 31 2019, 04:18 PM

Yes but you will need a special flux which I believe is expensive and very aggressive / nasty.
Gwalian
post Dec 31 2019, 06:42 PM

Thank again.
Just been looking at the flux. Bit pricey but managable. The 'nasty' bit is more of a problem.
The project application calls for food-grade user safety and that might be hard to guarantee with the
flux's chemical components. I'll look into it a bit further but atm it's looking like a friendy TIG
welder's gonna be my best bet.

Happy New year,
G.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage