Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Filler wire for car body panels?
L800_LOU
post May 23 2019, 12:37 PM

Hi there! New to the forum and looking for a little advice on a project Iím about to start. Iím gonna be replacing some panels on my 1976 Mini Clubman, using TIG.

Iíve seen a few posts on here about using MIG wire for filler and Iím just wanting to clarify if the wire I have would work.
I have borrowed a gas-less MIG welder from a friend which came with steel wire from a gassy (? haha) MIG welder. The welds were rubbish and we replaced it for fluxed wire, which Iím yet to try out. Would either of these wires be suitable for use with TIG, or should I just stick to mild steel wire?

My new TIG plant for the garage is due to be delivered tomorrow so I havenít had chance to experiment yet with either the MIG wire or the mild steel - so just looking for a heads up.

I know that MIG is supposed to be more forgiving for welding car panels, but Iíve worked with TIG almost exclusively on Titanium for the past 6 years or so at work, so Iím wanting to stick with what Iím most familiar with, and have the MIG as a back up. Iím aware that in an ideal world the panels would fit like a dream and no filler wire would be needed, but hey ho, itís pretty much a new floor going in, amongst other stuff, so Iím guessing thereís gonna be some needed along the way! laugh.gif
Technic Al
post May 25 2019, 04:45 PM

Solid mild steel MIG wire will be OK but why not get some proper TIG wire. TIG is usually considered to be a bit hot (distortion) and no good with rust which is why MIG is the more common.

Sounds like that other is flux cored gasless....thats no good for TIG
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage