Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NDT for Welding
Engineer Blondie
post Feb 4 2021, 06:00 PM

Hi Everyone

I was hoping you could help me with something.

So for DNV 2.7-3 for example you have MPI and UT requirements after welding at a percentage of the main structure for depending if its full pen or fillet welds. After this has been manufactured and the frame is in service. After how long do you require the have the welds evaluated again with NDT or is there a requirement for this? For example should the welds have a visual inspection every year or 6 months and NDT after 2 years ? This is under the impression there is no design changes or issues during this period.

Sorry if i have not explained this well. But i want to know not just for DNV but in general when welds should have NDT etc re-done and if anyone knows from ISO or AWS d.1.1 or DNV where this is in the standards ?

Thanks a lot for your help. I hear conflicting things on this topic

CChive68
post Feb 20 2021, 01:02 PM

For the DNV standard mentioned, refer to sec 8.2.1 which details periodic examination requirements in table 8.1. As for the rest, I suppose it depends on specific customer or operator procedures. It makes sense to carry out a visual examination on a lifting point before use......... I ,personally have never heard of structural or piping welds being re-tested after a certain period of time unless as part of a written scheme of examination for tanks, piping, vessels etc etc, say as part of a shut down.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage