Welcome to UKWelder Welding Caps Welding Helmets Pioner Overalls Welding Gloves
UKWelder Shop
Welding Hoods Welding Leathers Welding Helmet Spares Welding Boots

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join the Forum )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6g Barewire root / Fcaw fill and cap test.
Aerowelder96
post May 23 2019, 06:47 PM

If anyone has any decent experience sitting this test could you some light on it for me regarding settings and fit up as I have little experience with 6g and trying to get my head around it as everywhere seems to insist you must have youre own certs.

The root will be done using 1mm solid wire and filled and capped with 1.2mm ' saf fro ' Flux core wire on 6 inch carbon steel pipe 25mm thick if my memory served me right.

Been having problems with the root either too heavy or to shy in places.

Think i was running 15-16 volts and 2.5 - 3 on the wire with a 3.2mm gap with no root face.

Apparently the root must be 3-4mm proud.

If anyone else has sat this test any advice on juice and fit up would be appreciated as I cant seem to get it right.

Thanks in advance!
Boilerbuster
post May 24 2019, 06:15 PM

Your set up and amps seem to be about right depending what machine your using. Getting the right root thickness means keeping your torch at the correct trailing angle.
On the bottom between 5 and 7 o'clock, your trailing angle should be about 65 -70.
Between 11 and 1 o'clock it should be neutral (90).
Everything in between, your trailing angle shoud be around 80.

Hope this helps some.

Bb.
Boilerbuster
post May 25 2019, 08:21 AM

Re read my post and realised that I got my trailing angels wrong for the positions between 7 - 11 and 5 - 1 o'clock It should read 100
Sorry about that blush.gif
Boilerbuster
post May 25 2019, 08:34 AM

Oh and around the bottom that should read 120.
I should lay off the G&T's.
Go to the top of the page
Start new topicGo to the top of the page
Click on the Lion to return to the homepage Click on the Lion to return to the homepage